Chapter 3

Hello everyone! So sorry for the delay. I had hoped to udpate sooner but sometimes life gets in the way. Anyway, I hope you enjoy this chapter. You don't find out the identity of the mystery cab driver just yet. That'll come in a few chapters. Happy reading!

***

I’m paralysed with fear. As we stare at each other I suddenly become aware of my blood pumping through my veins. It sounds like water rushing down a waterfall. I open my mouth to speak but nothing comes out. As he continues to stare, I can feel his dark, angry eyes penetrating me, laughing at me.

One thing becomes clear…I need to get out.

Without saying a word I remove my purse, throw a wad of cash at him and scramble out of the car. I have no idea how much I ended up giving him but I don’t care. As much as I don’t want to give that bastard a tip, there are other more important things to worry about. Like forgetting this ever happened and supporting my sister-in-law.

I power walk to the main entrance and hear his taunting voice behind me, “No hello for old time’s sake, Emily? That’s a bit rude don’t you think?”

A tingle runs down my spine but I continue to ignore him. That is one voice I haven’t missed at all. As I enter through the automatic doors, all I can hear is his laughter behind me.  When I’m safely inside and out of his view, I slow down and collapse into a chair.

What the hell is he doing here? Is it just coincidence I happened to get the taxi he was driving? Or has he been—?

No, I can’t think that. That’s just too creepy. Why would he stalk me? That’s just ridiculous. Even he wouldn’t think of something like—

Oh okay he would, he so would.

Feeling shaken, I place my head in my hands and take a few deep breaths. What started off as a fantastic day has suddenly turned into a nightmare. What the hell is that bastard doing here?

Calm down, Emily. Now is not the time or place to think about him. Right now you need to focus on Dani.

I look up again feeling a small wave of relief washing over me. Well wouldn’t you know it? My inner self, aka Barbara, is talking sense for a change.

“Are you okay, ma’am?” a voice asks, startling me.

I look across and see a middle-aged nurse looking at me with a concerned look on her slightly wrinkled face. Suddenly remembering my appearance, I realise I must look terrible. Like a girl who’s trying to run from a possible stalker. Although why cake would have been involved I have no idea.

“Oh, I’m fine,” I say with a small smile. “It was a mad rush to get here that’s all, I had to sit down.” Remembering Dani I jump to my feet and gasp. “Oh my god! I need to see my sister-in-law, she’s in labour.”

The nurse looks at me warily but then finally offers a tight smile. “You must be after Danielle Reichelt.”

I nod vigorously, noticing a piece of cake fall from my hair. Whoops. The nurse notices too and raises a single eyebrow.

“I’ve just come from a wedding,” I can’t help but explain with a giggle. “We had a little incident with the cake.”

There was no point in explaining as the nurse is obviously very uninterested. She’s looking toward the emergency room and I can see she’s eager to get back to work. Not that I blame her of course, this is a hospital at all.

“What’s your name?” she questions, turning back to me.

“Emily Wilson.”

Her face lights up with recognition. “Oh you’re Emily, she’s been asking after you. Follow me.”