Chapter 5

It isn't a shadow.
This dark and sinister thing that follows me, the thing that only I can see—It isn't really a shadow. It's blackish and translucent, but it doesn't have a shadowlike solid outline. It's insubstantial—wispy and formless. Like it's made out of  my thoughts and feelings. It's always there, waiting for me to give myself up. It calls my name, asking me to revert to who I once was.

...

As Revy walked through the bustling streets of the Umbria district, she tried to keep her anxiety and paranoia at bay. What if someone had already discovered her true identity? Why did they not know who she was in the first place? Oh god, what if she had killed Devon? But before she could dwell on her thoughts any longer, a small girl interrupted her.

"Excuse me, pretty lady, could you spare some food for me and my brothers? We haven't eaten in days," pleaded the girl, clutching onto Revy's black cape with a desperate expression on her face. Revy recognized that look all too well, as she had once been in the same position herself, fighting to survive.

"What would you like to eat?" Revy asked kindly.

The little girl's eyes lit up with excitement. "Thank you so much! Anything would be great. I have two little brothers, so please enough for them too," she replied.

"And what's your name, dear?" Revy asked.

"My name is Leila," the girl replied.

"You're such a brave and amazing big sister, Leila. I'm sure your brothers are lucky to have you," Revy said, extending her hand to the girl. "Come with me, and I'll buy you all the food you want, okay?"

"Okay!" the girl said happily, taking Revy's hand.

The people of Umbria district were too poor to give to beggars, so they were all hopelessly laying around knowing nobody was willing to help. Revy took the girl to a nearby bakery and bought her more food than her tiny hands could carry.
"Here, take these gold coins too and use them carefully," Revy added, hoping to provide a bit of stability in the child's life.
"Thank you so much pretty lady! You're so cool! Are you a knight?" Leila asked, looking up at Revy with wide eyes.
Revy hesitated before responding. She was far from a knight, she was a wanted criminal. "I'm not a knight yet, but I will be soon," she said, trying to sound confident.
As she parted ways with Leila and continued through the crowded streets, Revy couldn't help but wonder if her plan to become a knight would ever come to fruition now that Devon, the knight's general had seen her face.

The tavern she was supposed to meet Vin at was less than three blocks away. The owner of the tavern was a magic-bearer Satyr male, with fur-covered legs and cloven hooves similar to those of a goat. Satyrns were mostly known for their goat-like horns on top of their heads; these came in a variety of shapes and sizes, from small nubs to big curling ones akin to a ram.

There were many taverns in the town with what one might refer to as "questionable reputations". The Satyr's Tavern was well-known to cater to the grimy underside of the city's gentry. This particular area of town was known for it's strong magical side, the Satyr's Tavern regulars were generally magic-users whose ethics may not align with what was considered proper. The owner was a Satyrn and a strong magic-user, particularly fire-based. Any fights that broke out were taken care of by him personally. The tavern attracted all types of criminals and bounty hunters, mercenaries, sellswords, knights, and merchants, the former looking to be hired by the latter as guards on caravans.

Revy enterd the tavern but Vin was nowhere to be seen.
She must be late. She thought.
As she walked in through the smoke and flickering lights, the burning of incense scalding her nose, the patrons turned to her. What did they see, she wondered. Some idiot who took a wrong turn or a young woman on a secret quest.
She took a seat at the bar and smiled at the bartender, who did not return the courtesy. The satyr sat down the glass he was polishing and walked over to Revy, his very steps singeing the wooden floor.
"This isn't really your kind of bar, friend." The bartender said, leaning over her, arms crossed.
"Not my kind of bar, yes." She said. "But I'm waiting for a friend."
The bartender narrowed his eyes. "Is that so?" He said. "But again, not your kind of place."
"Yes, yes. Now will you give me a drink or not? You're being rather disrespectful goat-man." Replied Revy in a scornful tone.
The Satyr looked surprised at her words but didn't talk back.
As he was preparing her a drink, Revy surveyed the crowded tavern, her gaze passing over the patrons with a calculated scrutiny. As her eyes grazed over the dimly lit interior, she noticed a cluster of knights, their regal presence unmistakable. These were the same knights she had clashed with in the forest just the prior day. Her attention was drawn to the man speaking to them; his messy black hair, rugged good looks and piercing emerald eyes were hard to miss. It was Devon. Revy felt a pang of shock shoot through her as she struggled to maintain her composure. A torrent of questions flooded her mind, leaving her feeling uneasy and unsure. With a smooth gesture, she brushed her hair back, hoping to quell her nerves as she quietly observed the scene.
"Here's you drink ma'am." Said the bartender as he placed a drink in front of Revy. She took the glass and chugged it down in one go, hoping it would take the anxiety down with it.
"Woah, didn't take you for a heavy drinker. Another one?" Said the goat-man.
"Yes, please." Replied Revy. She was afraid to look to her left again. But she instinctively did. Her eyes met his piercing emerald stare head-on. Devon had noticed her.