Chapter Twelve - Good News

After escaping from Black Manta's sub, Aizawa used a Zeta Tube to reach Gotham City. When he finally had some time to himself, Aizawa was overcome with a series of emotions. He now knew that Artemis was in fact alive and undercover infiltrating the Light. But as he learned the truth, Aizawa was forced to confront with his recent actions with the lines he nearly crossed. As Aizawa thought about his recent actions, the seasoned Pro Hero took a hard look at the mirror to see what he nearly became. After regaining his composure, Aizawa decided to pay Paula a visit. Meanwhile in the Gotham Heights Apartment Complex, Cheshire picked up her newborn baby from Paula who she had been babysitting. 

Cheshire: Thanks again for watching Lian. 

Paula: My pleasure. You should cherish this time with your daughter, Jade. You never know....

As Paula said this, Cheshire glanced over to her mother with a smile on her face. 

Cheshire: Mom, I've got something to tell you...about Artemis. Some good news. 

As Cheshire said that, a knock came at the door. Without hesitation, Cheshire opened the door to see Aizawa. 

Cheshire: Figured you'd swing by, Eraser. 

Aizawa: Jade. 

Aizawa approached Paula. A smile soon fell on his face. 

Paula: What is it, Shota? 

Aizawa: It's....it's about Artemis. She's...she's alive. 

Upon hearing this, Paula was in a state of shock. Tears of joy began streaming down her face. She broke down in tears upon hearing the news that her daughter was alive.

Paula: Artemis....she's....she's alive? H...how?

Aizawa: I...I can't say more than that. But I promise you that this is the truth. Artemis is alive. 

As Paula broke down in tears, Aizawa hugged her. Cheshire watched with a smirk on her face. 

Paula: I....I can't believe it....Shota....

Aizawa: I know, Paula. I know. 

Aizawa's smile soon fell from his face as he thought about his recent actions. Aizawa then turns to Cheshire. 

Aizawa: Jade. I....I need to talk to your mother in private. 

Cheshire: Got it. I needed to take Lian home anyway. 

As Cheshire was about to leave, Aizawa stopped her for a moment. 

Aizawa: Thank you, Jade. 

Cheshire: Don't mention it....Dad. 

Upon hearing Cheshire call Aizawa that name, a warm smile fell on his face. When he was left alone with Paula, Aizawa took a deep breath. Paula could see that something was bothering Aizawa.

Paula: Is something wrong, Shota? You seem troubled. I thought you of all people would be overjoyed at this news.

Aizawa: I...I am, Paula. But....you don't know what I did. What I nearly became.

Paula: What do you mean?

Aizawa: When I thought Artemis died, I....I wanted nothing more than to hunt down those responsible for her death. In my hunt, I did things....terrible things. I compromised my own morals in my grief. The line between justice and revenge became so blurred that I couldn't tell what I was truly doing all this for. 

As Aizawa said this, he thought about the things he did. He thought of his partnership with Sportsmaster. His brutal interrogation of Giran. His brutal attack on Black Manta. All of this had taken it's toll on Aizawa. 

Aizawa: Paula.....I nearly let my grief take me down a path that would destroy me. And the worst part of it all is that I did so of my own choice. I nearly became the thing I've sworn to stop. 

As Aizawa said this, he fell to his knees. Paula could see that this entire ordeal had taken it's toll on Aizawa. 

Paula: It wasn't your fault, Aizawa. 

Aizawa: But it is, Paula. By allowing myself to be consumed by my grief, I did terrible things. After all this, I'm starting to wonder if I can even call myself a Pro Hero anymore. 

Paula: Stop it, Shota. You can't give up. Artemis is alive. I....I don't know what happened. I'm....I'm still processing this. But one thing is clear. You're a Pro Hero. One of the best. So you've made a mistake. How many others in your line of work have done the same? Have they given up so easily?

As Paula says this, Aizawa sighs. He takes a moment to think on the decision he was about to make. He thought about the day Oboro Shirakumo died in the line of duty. He thought about how much Oboro believed in him. 

Aizawa: I can't just pretend that I didn't cross any lines.

Paula: But you can be better. You can make amends and be a better Hero. Please, Shota. Don't give up. 

As Paula pleads with Aizawa, the seasoned Pro Hero takes a deep breath. Despite the regrets he had over his actions, Aizawa thought about the promise he made to himself a long time ago. 

Aizawa: When I first became a Pro Hero, I made a promise to an old friend of mine. I promised myself that I would be the best Pro Hero I could be. I promised that I wouldn't become a hero who devalue their own lives in the name of empty justice. I promised that I would help shape future heroes into those who motivate and inspire. And I want all the greatest heroes.. to live long, happy lives. Guess I still have a long ways to go in fulfilling that promise. 

In that moment, Aizawa had found the resolve to continue his career as a Pro Hero. But as he found his resolve, the looming threat of both All For One and the Light still lingered.