Chapter Thirteen - Setting The Record Straight

Days have passed since Aizawa learned the truth about Artemis. After taking some time to process all that had happened, Aizawa used the Zeta Tube to transport himself to Blüdhaven. He then makes his way to a warehouse where Nightwing was working on a computer.

Aizawa: So this is the Team's new hideout? When I heard about what happened to Mount Justice, I was wondering where you would set up operations.

Nightwing: It's not the most spacious place in the world, bit it works.

Aizawa: Is anyone else here?

Nightwing: No. The rest of the Team is out trying to find out more about the Reach's plans. Things got more complicated.

Aizawa: Speaking of complications, there's something I need to talk to you about.

Nightwing: What's up?

Aizawa: I know about Artemis.

As Aizawa said this, there was an uneasy silence. After that silence, Nightwing took a deep breath.

Nightwing: I'm guessing that you have some questions.

Aizawa: Yes. I think I'm entitled to some answers. I want you to tell me why.

As Aizawa said that, Nightwing took a deep breath.

Nightwing: We planted Kaldur as a mole to infiltrate the Light to find out their plans. This was how we found out about the Reach. This deep cover was done in absolute secrecy to minimize the danger of discovery. Not even Aquaman knew of this.

Aizawa: How did Artemis get involved in this?

Nightwing: We knew from the get go that maintaining cover would be difficult. We needed to make sure that Kaldur would gain the Light's trust.

Aizawa: In other words, he needed to "kill" someone. Someone who was close to him.

Nightwing: We came to Artemis and she accepted. We didn't force her into this. She chose to help us.

When Nightwing said this, everything prior to Artemis's fake death began to make sense. The way Artemis suddenly came out of retirement and joined the Team on their mission to Cape Canaveral. All of these events began to add up. But as Aizawa made that realization, he thought about his actions in response to what he initially thought as the death of his daughter.

Nightwing: When Artemis agreed to help, we faked her death and placed her as a mole to help Kaldur solidify his cover.

Aizawa: Does West know?

Nightwing: He knew. He wasn't exactly happy about Artemis going on such a dangerous mission, but he didn't try to stop her.

Aizawa said nothing as he took a moment to process this information. Nightwing could tell that something was bothering Aizawa.

Nightwing: I'm....I'm sorry about this, Mr. Aizawa. I can't imagine how that must've felt.

Aizawa: I'm going to be honest, Grayson. What you did....I cannot condone this. While I understand the need for this, I cannot condone this. From a rational standpoint, it makes sense to plant a mole within the enemy ranks to learn their plans. But from a personal standpoint, the fact that you not only used my daughter to further this plan, but you also fake her death and leave me in the dark about it is something I can't condone in the strongest possible sense.

Nightwing: I know. I've made some tough calls on this matter, a lot of which I'm not proud of.

Aizawa: So have I, Grayson. I've made my own share of choices that I'm not proud of. In fact, in my pursuit for....revenge, I nearly crossed a line. A line that I swore that I'd never cross. It took everything I had to resist that temptation. But the fact of the matter is that this nearly pushed me past the point of no return.

Nightwing: I'm sorry. I.....

Aizawa: I forgive you, Grayson. I'm never going to forget this. What happened happened. You did what you thought was the right call. I may not agree with it, but you made that call. Nothing can ever change what happened.

Nightwing was caught off guard by Aizawa's words. While he always knew Aizawa's as one to never let his emotions get the better of him, this was one of the few matters where such a reaction was justified.

Nightwing: I wouldn't have been surprised if you didn't forgive me.

Aizawa: I was considering that. But I chose to forgive you because this was Artemis's choice. You didn't force her into doing this. Had that been the case, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

As Aizawa said this, it became clear to Nightwing that while Aizawa didn't condone his choices, Aizawa respected them.

Aizawa: I've always taught my classes that the world is full of unfairness. Villain attacks, natural disasters, and so many other incidents. Our jobs is to combat the unfairness. That's just how it is. But nothing could have ever prepared me for any of this.

Nightwing: I get the feeling. It looks like the Reach is planning something big. Kaldur and Artemis are still looking into it.

Aizawa: I did my own investigation. All For One is planning something. I don't know what. All I know is that the League of Villains is involved. I saw Dabi and Toga take a sample of Miss Martian's blood just before I infiltrated Black Manta's submarine.

Nightwing: So All For One now has a sample of M'gann's blood. Just when things couldn't get more complicated.

Aizawa: I'm personally going to find out what All For One's plan is. Whatever he's planning, I'm going to find out. But now that I know that Artemis is still alive, I can tackle this with a clear head.

Nightwing: Good luck with that.

With that, Aizawa and Nightwing parted on friendly terms. With his business with Nightwing concluded, Aizawa could now dedicate himself fully to unraveling the mystery of All For One's plans.