To Being Healthy

March

The house seemed too quiet. I didn't need a house this big to myself now. There wasn't a need to smuggle Dhampir out of the society because the society was run by Dhampirs. Not entirely, but almost completely. Lissa had so much to do with it too.

Once she had recovered enough to be mobile after her gunshot, she called on a press conference immediately. The Royals that were delusional about the whole 'enslavement of Dhampir' believed that she would have made a statement against the Dhampirs. There were already rumours that they thought they could lead her to make a motion because she had been left 'unprotected'. But I didn't need to be able to hear her thoughts to know just how wrong they were.

There were progressive Royals that she trusted, and there were Guardians she trusted. She organized things so quickly that it almost made my head spin.

The word dissolution didn't register with some of the Royals, but by the time it did, too many had voted for it. Tatiana included. Spearheaded by Lissa, those who were tired of the bored and old 'traditional' views were quick and efficient, effectively taking over and rejuvenating everything.

No longer was there a council solely of Royal Parliament. Now it was a mixture of Guardians, Royals, Non-Royal Moroi and Unpromised Dhampirs. Those who were Royal could keep their titles to an extent, but it was only a matter of weeks before things were turned around. Court wasn't exactly where people lived anymore, instead, disbursing out into the world like normal people.

And I couldn't have been happier.

I was happy to get back to my life, but I was also happy that an ounce of fear had been lifted. If things hadn't gone the way we wanted, the corrupted Royals would have taken things too far. We would have gone from being sub-par citizens to cattle. Or worse.

Eddie got out, deciding that it was his time to find a new path. He deserved it really, and he wasn't the only one. There were a lot of Moroi who left too. They still had some connection to the 'Moroi' world, but they were no longer governed by it.

As an outsider, it didn't affect me as much as I thought it would, it just put me out of a job. So to speak.

My phone buzzed against the counter, and I set my mug down, looking down at the caller display.

"Hey," I said with a yawn.

"Hi. Did I wake you?" Lissa asked, concern filling her voice.

"No, no. Just having some difficulty sleeping. I've been up for a bit. What's up?" I placated, waving my hand even though she couldn't see me. I picked up my mug and walked to the couch, sinking down on it.

Lissa launched into explaining how the voluntary trials were going, explaining that a surprising amount of Dhampirs had stepped up, both men and women. Most of them were couples that had kept their relationships in the shadows. I smiled to myself as Lissa talked, happy to know that things were happening the way they should.

"The first vaccines were given today," Lissa said, "Ten units. We had to draw the line there because we don't know how effective it will be."

"Ten is a good number," I said, "Ten people could potentially have their lives changed."

"How's Dimitri?"

I sighed and smiled to myself. "He's good; busy. He feels that he needs to make up all the time that he missed, even though his boss has told him he doesn't. We are hoping to go and see his family in the summer," I explained, picking at my nails.

"Has he been over much?"

"I see him three-four times a week," I said, "I miss him sleeping here though. Since he got his own place last month, I don't sleep so well."