Chapter 1 ~ She always runs away

Darla woke up, the smell of Cinnamon and Insence filled her room. The girl turned to her clock, it was almost time to leave for school and her friend, Filex, was gonna come and pick her up.

She got out of bed and changed into the outfit she had planned last night..

Then she puts on her gray beanie, and puts on her favorite dark brown lipstick

Then she puts on her gray beanie, and puts on her favorite dark brown lipstick. After that, she grabs her bag. She walks out into the living room, seeing her father, Russell, sleeping on the couch..

Last night was a night where he drank way too much... Darla frowned and just grabbed a soda from the fridge. Her father has a drinking problem, but Darla loves him very much.

Russell is not abusive at all, he just has... problems... He didn't take the divorce and Darla's surgery to well. And is also struggling with the bills and his job, luckily, today is his day off.

Darla kissed his forehead and heard tires screeching outside her house. She left and locked the door behind her, seeing Filex's van and Filex waving excitedly, wearing...

Darla smiled and got in the passengers, "Morning Darla, you ready for the math quiz?" Filex said

Darla smiled and got in the passengers, "Morning Darla, you ready for the math quiz?" Filex said. Darla chuckled.

"Hell no!" She signed, making Filex laugh. He put the car in drive and began moving. Darla lives in the Forest Hills Trailer Park, like her young friend Max.... and Eddie Munson..

Darla liked Eddie since 6th grade, but due to her condition, they've never spoken before, but Darla knows a lot more about him now, because Nancy's brother Mike, is part of Eddie's D&D club. And everyone of her friends knows about her big crush on the metalhead.

Darla wishes she could speak, so she could have the courage to speak to Eddie Munson. But now, she's afraid that he doesn't understand sign language and will see her as a freak... She lost her voice when she was 6-7 years old, due to a infection in her throat..

Her father didn't think anything of it, so weeks of being in pain, it got really infected. Her father finally took her to a doctor, which the doctor ended up saying that they should've been there before for medicine, but since it's really bad, they had to preform surgery on her to take out her vocals (where the infection was).