0.25

Being lonely is an easy thing; being alone is another matter entirely

My father left me when I was just a child. I remember the events so visibly. It was only seven years ago. My mother and I have been alone ever since. She soon got a job as a police officer for our city, and now I rarely see her. She is usually out saving the day.

So, it's usually just me in our quiet apartment. Elvis, my Bombay cat, lives here too, but he's kind of stuck up.

Do I mind being alone?

Absolutely not.

It's better that way. No fake friends. No random drama. No fights.

Just me.

I like it that way. I don't soak up any attention.

"Ryujin!"

A loud yell woke me up out of my daze. My physics teacher waved his hand in my face.

"Ryujin, the bell rang three minutes ago." My teacher looked at me, concerned. I took one look around the classroom, noticing how empty it was.

"Sorry, I didn't notice."

"No, it's okay. Is everything alright?"

"Yep, everything is fine," I said, packing up my things. I stood up, heading towards the door.

"Ryujin." Before I could exit, he called out.

I looked at him. "Yes?"

"Happy Birthday!"

"Thank you, sir." I smiled, walking out of the classroom. He may have been the first person to say that to me today. Not even my mom said it because she was asleep when I woke up.

It was the usual pattern for her. She would often stay up all night and then sleep through the morning. I've been making myself breakfast since I was eight years old.

I walked down my school's crowded halls. The day was over, and I couldn't wait to get home. Suddenly, I ended up knocking straight into someone.

That was the worst thing about being invisible. Sometimes you really are just invisible to everyone. I started gathering the objects that fell out of my book bag as I fell.

The other girl was also on the floor. She groaned a little, dusting her skirt off.

"Yeji, are you okay!?" A familiar voice called out.

"Yeah, I'm fine, Yeonjun." She smiled. I watched as Yeonjun helped Yeji up.

He helped her dust her skirt off. "You have to be more careful."

"I'm fine." Yeji rolled her eyes. She suddenly extended her hand out to me. I ignored her, grabbed my bag, and walked off towards the exit.

I wasn't always lonely. Yeonjun knows very much about that. We were best friends until he found a girlfriend and ditched me. He never even gave me a warning; he just grew distant.

Our phone calls went from every day to never. We used to walk to school together, but now his new friends drive him.

Yeonjun and his friends go to a new restaurant almost every day. I can't help but watch his Instagram stories. He looks happier without me, so who cares?

It was not long before I arrived home. I jingled the key into my apartment. The lights were all off, and the box of cereal I left on the kitchen counter was still there. However, next to it was a chocolate cupcake with white frosting. Next to that was a pack of candles.

There was a note on the counter.

"Working out of town for the next couple of weeks. Your father sent you this present. Happy Birthday, Mom loves you so much. Have a good night."

I read it out loud before crumpling it up and tossing it out.

I sighed and placed the candle on the cupcake. "Happy 18th birthday to me!"

If only someone could cure my loneliness.

There was a wrapped gift on the counter. It was from my dad, who ran away seven years ago to start a new family.

Because of him, I have a half-sister named Yuna, who I never met. I just know my dad would rather spend time with her than with me.

He always gives me a different comic on my birthday. We used to spend our time together reading comic books at the library before he left. I don't think he knows I'm not eight years old anymore.

I don't want stupid books as presents. Quite frankly, I don't want anything at all from him. I unwrapped the present to see a comic book inside. It was a comic book called The Miracle. I looked at the card he wrote.

"Happy birthday, Jinnie. I hope all your wishes come true soon."

I scoffed. You haven't spoken to me in years, and you can't even end the card with "I love you." I picked up the book and read the synopsis.

It was just another stupid romance comic with a handsome male lead and an obnoxious female lead.

Useless.

I tossed the book to the side. I assume these fantasy worlds are meant to make me feel better about my shitty life.

In all honesty, they don't and never will. I'm blowing out my own candles like a loser on my eighteenth birthday.

I turned to gaze at my cupcake as I used a match to light the candle.

I wish to no longer be alone.

To Be Continued

© -midzyspider

hi