26 | WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND

October 2023Avengers Compound, New York

October 2023
Avengers Compound, New York

"Alright, we have a plan. Six Stones, three teams. One shot."

The team walked together to the platform of the Quantum Time Machine, their bodies pumped up, tensed, eager, nervous, about the execution of the plan. They looked at each other before Nat put forward her fist face down in the centre, the rest followed one by one. 

When they retrieved their hands, Steve stared around the suit-up heroes speaking determinately and poised, giving his last speech before they separated for the mission.

"Five years ago, we lost. All of us. We lost friends... we lost family... we lost a part of ourselves. Today, we have a chance to take it all back. You know your teams, you know your missions. Get the stones, get them back. One round trip each. No mistakes. No do-overs... Most of us are going somewhere we know, but it doesn't mean we should know what to expect."

He shared a look with Rose who had a serious expression. "Be careful. Look out for each other. This is the fight of our lives. And we're gonna win." Steve and Tony exchanged glances. "Whatever it takes. Good luck."

"He's pretty good at that," Rocket commented.

"Right?" Scott responded with a side-smile, excited.

"Alright. You heard the man," Tony told Bruce who was on the ground setting up the information on the monitor. "Stroke those keys, jolly green."

"Tractors engaged."

"You promise to bring that back in one piece, right?" Rocket asked about his shrunk spaceship in Clint's hand.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah," he dismissed. "Okay. I'll do my best."

"As promises go, that was pretty lame."

Nat moved side to side smiling at them. "See you in a minute."

Rose, in between Steve and Tony, glanced at her knowingly. Her jaw subtly clenched. Nat shook her head keeping her grin intact, the gesture seemed like someone excited, but it was really a silent, reassuring message.

The redhead glanced at her best friend and winked, her eyes shining.

And then they shrunk disappearing into the tunnel.

May 2012
New York City, USA

May 2012New York City, USA