Chapter 1 - Moments before

Monday, 3rd of January 2022

While sitting in class, I glanced at the watch on my wrist. Five minutes left until class is dismissed.

And so, as I did routinely each day of middle school, every afternoon I met up with a friend named Shinkawa Kyouji and after leaving the school gates, I let out a sigh finally leaving the stress behind and turned as I spoke.

"Hey, Shinkawa-kun what do you plan to do after graduating?"

"After graduating? Well, I.... was told I have to succeed my parents"

"Oh right. At the hospital.... You try so hard.... I admire that about you."

As we walked out of the school gates, I immediately regretted my decision of making small-talk as guilt crawled on my back. However, at that moment, I caught a glimpse of something suspicious happening in an alleyway.

I pulled on Shinkawa's sleeve, unashamed before hiding behind a wall.

"W-What are you doing?"

"Shhh, be quiet! Something weird is happening."

When I did that, he tried to protest it, but gave in shortly after and peeked into the narrow alley where voices could be heard.

Over there, there was a spectacled girl with black hair tied in small ribbons by the sides of her face and was seemingly being bullied by a girl with narrow eyes and a pointed chin making her look like a predatory insect.

Based on their uniform, I found out that they were attending the same middle school as us. Furthermore, I recognized the one with glasses as Asada Shino. The girl who supposedly killed a man who was robbing a bank out of self-defense.

".....What do you want?" After she said that, the other girl who was much bigger than her grabbed her by the wrist before continuing.

"Hey, Asada. I just bought too much today and can't afford the train fare home. I'll pay you back tomorrow if you lend me this much." The bully said holding up 5 fingers.

"5,000 yen? I don't have that much."

"Then go ask for some."

Hearing that I tried to bust in there, but Shinkawa pulled on my sleeve to stop me. However, I just ended up dragging him in as I confronted the girl.

Due to my strong sense of justice, I couldn't allow it. If I allowed this to happen, it would most definitely get worse.

"Stop....! Don't drag me into this!" Shinkawa pulled on my sleeve harder.

"Hey you! What kind of person asks for that much? You should leave right this instant! I'll have you know, I'm very strong! And I brought a friend!"

I said, resting both my hands on my waist. At that point, the girl clicked her tongue, [Tch] before bolting out of the alley.

"Hey. Err, Asada-san was it? Class 8-A right? Nice to meet you, my name is Natsuki Kenichi. Let's be friends!"

"O-Oi..."

However, when I said that while approaching with a friendly demeanour, the girl glared at me and Shinkawa before opening her mouth to speak.

"You shouldn't have done that... It's just gonna get worse from now on."

"Eh?"

I let out a dumbfounded voice as Shinkawa sighed from behind me.

"See? We shouldn't barge needlessly into other people's business...!"

"B-But you saw right? She was getting bullied! What, was I just supposed to watch? That's completely wrong! There's something seriously wrong with Japan's society if that's the case!"