TWENTY-ONE

Steve had driven them all to a field, there everyone got to work on their weapons. The camper stood in the middle of the field, Julia was helping Eddie and Dustin hammer some nails into metal lids of trashcans. They were becoming pretty durable shields.

Somewhere to their right, Max helped Nancy prepare a shotgun she had bought. The gun had a very long loop and with Nancy's earlier in counter with Jason, where he had grabbed the loop, she didn't want to take any risks.

"Is this legal?" Max asked, referring to Nancy sawing of the loop.

"Actually, I think it's a felony."

"Right."

"But it guarantees one thing." Nancy muttered. She had almost sawed through the whole loop. "I won't miss." Nancy lifted the saw and hit the metal loop with the end of the saw breaking it off.

Back on their left Eddie picked up one of the shields and held it out in front of him.

"How's she feeling?" Dustin asked.

"Light. But durable." Eddie swung the shield around while pretending to fight off the demobats, that's what they had chosen to name the bat things from the Upside Down. "Deadly. But reliable."

"Well, isn't that exactly what we went for?" Julia smiled while Dustin chuckled proudly.

Eddie nodded before putting one foot on one of the crates that laid around. He dramatically put on his D&D voice.

"Hear me now. There will be no more retreating..." He changed his voice back. "...from Eddie the Banished."

Dustin stood up and picked the other shield from one of the crates.

"Hey, you're really ready for the bat-tle." He chuckled.

Eddie just looked at him with a weird expression, Dustin tried to safe his joke by laughing and looked over at Julia before looking back at Eddie. He moved his arms in protest when no one shared his excitement.

"You get it?" Dustin asked as Julia tried to container her smile.

Eddie didn't answer and just pulled up his eyebrows.

"Bat-tle... B-A-T... No?" He groaned disappointed.

"I thought I had a good one." He sighed as he set down his shield.

Dustin didn't realize it but Eddie's face slowly pulled to a smirk. He pushed his shield in Julia hands before leaping over to tackle Dustin.

"What are you doing?" Dustin yelped.

Eddie tried to wrestle him down to the ground as they ran around the field.

"You son of a bitch!" Dustin yelled laughing, he took back a few steps before leaping forward to, this time, wrestle Eddie to the ground but without any luck.

"No wedgies! No wedgies!" Dustin yelled as Eddie tried to find a way to get him down.

Julia laughed and stood up from the ground, she shook her head at the boys.

"Never change, Dustin Henderson." Eddie sighed as he looked at the boy. "Promise me?"

"I wasn't planning on it." Dustin answered.

"Good." Eddie sighed.

"Good." Dustin chuckled.

"Get a room you two!" Julia jokingly laughed.

Eddie turned his head to her, his eyes were low and his face pulled in a smirk. Julia knew that look.

"Munson, get that smug look off your face." Julia warned as she slowly backed up a little.