Chapter 9

Raelyn waited quietly for Damon's response. Surprisingly, he stopped their walk and let his finger lightly trace her scar, never taking his eyes off hers. "She threw the glass at you?"

She swallowed. His touch made her skin tingle. "Yes, but that was the only time she threw something. I ended up getting stitches and living with Grandma Jo for the next week."

Instantly, he pulled her into an embrace, one arm wrapped tight around her back, the other pressing her head to his chest. "Oh Rae."

Raelyn inhaled his spicy cologne. She didn't have anything to say. She was so surprised with how she had shared her secrets with Damon so early in their relationship.

"I would have never guessed you were abused. You are such an amazing woman; professional, smart, kind, funny, sweet, beautiful, and so much more. If someone asked me my favorite thing about you I couldn't choose. I would probably have to narrow it down to your personality, your smile, and your eyes."

Raelyn felt his arms tighten around her. "Thank you. But I have something else to say. The memories are what woke me up. You are a small reason that I couldn't fall back asleep."

Damon let go of her and grabbed her hand to resume their walk. "How so?"

"I kept on thinking about us. If we are going anywhere. If God brought you into my life for a reason. If maybe we were just meant to be friends. If your job would get in the way of my job and vice versa-"

Damon stopped her sentence and kissed her hard. Raelyn froze, then sighed. There was the answer to her questions. He pulled away and rested his forehead to hers. Their breaths intermixed.

Raelyn couldn't help but smile, "Did your burger have onions on it?"

Damon laughed, "Possibly."

Raelyn tapped her cheek with a smile, "Then maybe right here for now."

Damon placed a kiss where she had tapped, "Okay fine. But did that give you any clue about us?"

Raelyn fell into step next to him. The park was nice and relaxing. "Yes."

"Oh good."

Then it occurred to her that they had just shared their first kiss. And she loved it. They walked silently, Damon's hand holding tight to hers the entire time.

"Do you still visit your mom?" He broke the silence.

"Rarely. She criticizes me. Doesn't yell much anymore, just criticizes."

"Next time you see her, can you take me?"

"Why?"

"So I can show her how special you are."

Raelyn flushed. He was too good to her. "She'll criticize you then."

"I can handle it."

"But she'll yell at me then for making poor decisions on men, even though you are the coolest guy to walk on this earth."

He chuckled, "How about you just take me to Grandma Jo's then."

"Much better of an idea."

"Have you ever gotten counseling or talked to someone who has shared traumatic experiences?"

Raelyn looked at him, confused, "Not really. Grandma Jo was like my counselor."

"One of my friends' wife went through something very traumatic in her life. What if we got together for dinner sometime so you could talk? You don't have to share anything private, I just think you two would get along well."