Chapter 11

Raelyn watched as Hunter wrapped the little boy in his arms. "It's okay buddy. It was an accident."

Aeden leaned back and wiped his eyes, "I scared Jenna."

"She'll be okay."

Aeden hugged his dad. "Should I say sorry?"

Hunter returned the hug, "Maybe give her a bit. Why don't we clean this up?" Hunter stood and took Aeden's hand.

Raelyn spun around to face Damon, "Will Jenna be alright?" She whispered.

He rubbed his blue eyes, "I think so. Just give them a little bit."

"Okay."

Damon led her to the couch. He sat down and Raelyn sat next to him. His arm rested along the back of the couch. "I like these people. They're the type of people you can start a conversation with and pick up where you left off, yet you've never met them before."

"I kind of understand what you're saying."

"My brain is just too elite for you." She smirked.

Grace sunk into the recliner across from the couch and closed her eyes. "She fell asleep."

"Faith did? Wow." Raelyn was surprised. It was only seven o'clock. The baby was going to have an early morning.

"Aeden, go sit with Mom while I get this cleaned up, okay? I don't want you to cut yourself."

"Okay." Aeden climbed onto his mother's lap. "Hi Mom."

Grace kissed the hair atop his head, "Hi buddy."

Raelyn watched the family exchange play out. It was so different from her childhood. She laughed to herself, her childhood was a fake.

Matt and Jenna returned, and Raelyn saw Matt holding Jenna's hand in a very tight grip. "It's okay Aeden. I know it was an accident." Raelyn heard Jenna forgive Aeden, but didn't miss the fine tremor in her voice.

Aeden jumped out of the chair and gave Jenna a hug. "Thank you." He quickly climbed back into his mom's arms afterward, however. 

Matt sat down with Jenna in Grace's lovesac. "Raelyn did you know that Grace used to be a hostage negotiator?"

Raelyn raised a brow at Grace, "Really?"

Grace toyed with Aeden's hair. "Yes. But I quit so that my little rascals would know for sure their mother would come home everyday. The risk in that job is so high."

"Very high. I know some hostage negotiators. The job is stressful."

"You can say that again."

Raelyn continued to talk, but kept one eye on Jenna and Matt the entire night. She heard tidbits of a relationship between Damon and Matt that she suspected was an old friendship. What interested her was Grace's family, the Wagners. She knew them, more by reputation than anything. But now she had met Grace and knew their reputation preceded them.

There were five children. All who used to work or still worked high risk jobs. The oldest was Dominic, then twins Nicole and Cole, then Olivia, then Grace. Raelyn was interested in the family. She also thought it interesting that Damon and his childhood friends had been "reunited" due to the fact that each of his friends personally knew a Wagner.

"Olivia and Jack have kids, right?" Damon asked. Jack was Olivia's husband, and from what Raelyn had inferred, they were madly in love. 

Raelyn had been wondering that all night. Dominic had two girls, Grace had Aeden and Faith, Nicole was expecting twins, and Cole had one daughter. Grace's eyes clouded at Damon's question, "They can't. They've tried. They can't."