01

01

Being a top student among all is the best feeling that my daddy wants. When I stepped my feet in the school I knew that my life would change, for a purpose? I guessed. 

I've never experienced having a friend, just my pen and book. Hanging out with a book in the vintage library while listening to the music coming from my earphones. Lonely, just me and myself. I'm comfortable and free in the dark but when night comes, my body is shaking with fear and anxiety. Sometimes I lose my sanity because of the expectations of others, especially my own father. 

All my life I sacrificed my own happiness just to reach my goal. Maintaining my position in the academic world as the top one or the highest among the honors students. My chest breathes easier than before knowing that my father can't compare or complain to me now. I'm confident that I'm the one who will end this game academically and I'm willing to take a risk, to gamble everything that I have just to have it.

But there's a question that popped into my mind. Do I look happy with it? I just want to make my daddy and mommy proud of me as their only child. Pressure but it's quite challenging for me. 

"The best way to have your goal is to invest a hardwork and dedication for it," I said with full of confidence. Daddy's looking at me intense. Kinabahan ako ng unti pero kalauna'y nakahinga din ng maluwag ng lumapit ang professor ko kay dad.  

Nasa mini stage kami. I'm giving a speech to the fresh students, to welcome them with warm greetings and advice. My fake smile suddenly disappeared. I used my poker face again. Bumaba ako mula sa hagdanan, inalalayan ako ng isang lalaki na nakapwesto doon. I gave him a small smile to satisfy his gentleman.

Hindi pa ako nakakalayo sa paglalakad ng may humarang sa aking harapan. The old lady is smiling at me. "You did well, we're not mistaken that we chose you to deliver the message for our new students. You have a big part in this academy, jixie." I had no choice but to smile at what she's saying.

"It's my pleasure to do this Mrs Chen," her lips form a wide smile. Nakahinga ako ng maluwag ng umalis na din ito. It takes to long before I escaped there. Hindi na rin nagtagal si dad dahil he needs to go in our company. Hindi pa tapos ang program pero umalis na ako. I need some space, I badly need to breathe.

I found myself sitting in a swinging wooden chair in the garden. This is not my first time to go here, I'm just here when I feel exhausted from everything. My eyes automatically open when I hear some girls having chit chat.

"May bago daw transferee, did you know who is he?" sabik na tanong nito sa kaibigan niya. Kunot ang noo ko habang nakikinig sa kanila.

The girl giggles. "He's so handsome, he's like an angel from the sky." Napailing ako at muling itinulak ang aking sarili kasabay ng pag ihip ng hangin. 

"I heard he has a high intelligence like jixie. So I'm not going to be shocked when this guy defeats her." parang napantig ang aking tenga dahil sa narinig mula sa kanila. Did I clearly hear my name compared to that new guy? 

I was walking in my locker to put my things there when I saw a nerd girl walking in my direction. I slowly closed my locker and suddenly looked at her. She's wearing our uniform and her favorite rainbow sucks. Nahihiya itong ngumiti sa akin at inabot ang isang paper bag. 

Bahagyang tumagilid ang aking ulo habang sinusuri ang dala-dala niya. She slightly bit her buttom lips while she's sweating. "S-Salamat pala dahil pinahiraman mo ako ng notes. Hindi ko talaga alam ang gagawin ko kapag bumagsak ako… mawala 'yung scholarship ko," she said. "S-Sana magustuhan mo itong simpleng regalo ko sayo…" My eyes landed in her trembling hands. Nakayuko ang ulo niya habang nakaangat ang kamay niya.