Chapter 5

HANNAH

By mid-morning Monday, Hannah could already tell that the rest of the workday was headed downhill — a Monday straight from Hell itself really. None of her meetings began or ended on time and getting to her first scouting location had been a hassle.

The fact that she worked in an area that had music talent at all times of the day, was something that allowed her to take the promotion when it was handed to her. Having a kid in daycare only until the afternoon, she never in a million years would have thought she would be able to maintain this job. But, with work being so accommodating, and only working evenings every now and again, lifted a huge weight off her shoulders. Of course, when she had originally accepted the position, she knew she wouldn't be allowed to scout evening talents, leaving those bigger artists to go with more advanced scouts and agents. But she made do with what she had, and Hannah ended up bringing in some big artists with the record label, even at those odd daytime slots.

             Finally, walking in the bar, she felt her entire body come back to life. The location was a lesser-known place, tucked away from the usual crowds, leaving it to the arts of the unusual. There was music playing lightly in the background as a group was setting up their equipment on a small stage.

Rhonda was cleaning behind the bar but waved her over.

Hannah set her bags down on a bar stool and let out a long huff, puffing out her cheeks.

"How was the wedding this weekend?" Rhonda ignored the clear level of stress that she was in.

Hannah wanted to tell her everything. Truly. But there was a large part of her that told her not to. She wasn't entirely embarrassed, but she also didn't want to feel the judgment. "Oh, you know. The usual. Nothing too extreme happened."

Rhonda always reminded her of Dolly Parton. You always felt extremely comfortable around her. She was always so full of life, energetic, upbeat. So much that you could tell her anything. She didn't care about differences and accepted people and things for what they were. She was too nervous to even say what she had done at the wedding out loud. It would make it too real. She wasn't ready. So it had nothing against her trust in the woman.

Aside from Jason, Rhonda knew everything about her past. Unlike Jason, who had to live through the sorrows that came in Hannah's life, Rhonda only knew what Hannah had told her. Rhonda had never winced, never shot her a dirty look or even made her feel under scrutiny.

Rhonda owned and ran the bar, as well as a bar back during the day. She always heard the best stories from people. Hannah knew though, that she always cared more about Hannah's stories than some tourist looking to get drunk in Music City.

"No one ran off with some mystery lover?" Rhonda asked.

Hannah stilled. Did she just read her mind?

"I watch too many soaps and sappy movies. Read too many stupid romance novels too." Hannah looked at her skeptically. Rhonda shrugged and slid her a sweet tea knowing she would ask for it later. "Someone is always getting left at the altar in these things and running back to their past lovers."

Hannah laughed but it sounded fake. "Yeah, that's a bit extreme. But! I would have probably enjoyed the show a bit more if it would have happened."

Rhonda looked at her with a small amount of worry. She knew Hannah didn't have quite the taste for weddings. Not anymore.

Hannah felt her eyes on her and waved a hand, "those two are madly in love anyway."

Rhonda felt the switch in conversation and for Hannah's sake, rolled with it. "They're going to a resort, aren't they?"