Chapter 10

You were pacing the entire time he was gone. Inside your mind you played out a million scenarios He barely survived the last mission what more could they have in store for him? You were back in action, why not choose you? Your skill was right below Maverick, you were useful. Rooster walked through the door and you nearly collapsed at the sight of him. "I'm leaving." He told you. The air left your lungs leaving you dizzy. "It's not nearly as dangerous as last time. I should be back home fairly soon." He explained. You nodded your head as if you understood, which you did, you just didn't want to part.

"Ok babe" you told him with a small smile as he looked your face over to know your true feelings. "When do you ship out?" You didn't want to ask the question but you needed to know.

"Tomorrow morning. It's urgent. 0500 hours." He recited his order.

You closed your eyes tightly as you sighed, "I can't know can I?" Rooster shook his head no.

"Just know that after this last mission, this will be a walk in the park." He ran his fingers through your hair trying to make any type of contact for as long as he had left.

That evening you were lying out on the sand next to a relaxed Rooster. He held your hand as you read your book quietly. Anything to get your mind off of his departure. You knew Bradley needed as much rest and relaxation as possible before the ridiculously early hour to come. You were just happy to be next to him. You turned the page and noticed a familiar shape passing by. You waved a quick hello to Phoenix as she walked towards the bar. Quickly you turned your attention on the Lieutenant as his chest rose up and down deeply. You smiled to yourself. This is how you wanted to remember being with him, under the golden glow of a slowly setting sun lying in the sand together. The feeling of happiness and contentment filled your body. He was the best thing to fall into your life. From the very first day you met him. Those aviator sunglasses. That smile. He was goofy and kind, passionate and compassionate. He was just what you needed and more. A small snore escaped him causing you to chuckle. You gently nudged him causing him to stir. "Let's go home Roose." You giggled.

"What? Was I snoring?" He asked propping his head onto his hand as he rested on his shoulder.

"A little bit babe. But I'm starving and ready to cuddle on the couch." You told him honestly.

"That sounds perfect Duchess." He agreed easily. Rooster leaned forward and planted a kiss on your lips causing your toes to curl. He pulled away with a goofy grin that made your heart feel even lighter.

Overnight you laid on top of his chest. Your ears were filled with the sounds Bradley was making. Your head was filled with even more noise. You were in a much better state of mind regarding your PTSD but that didn't mean it wasn't tempted to return. Especially with him leaving for the first time after the last chaotic mission. You were managing the anxiety that was creeping up your throat as you stroked the bare skin on his chest. The fan kept moving cold air on top of you giving you a chill. Rooster was the complete opposite temperature, he always ran ridiculously hot. Sometimes you wondered how he survived being in a cockpit at 112 degrees. For you, you ran cold always. Your hands and feet were constantly freezing. Unless you were actively working out you could always wear a jacket. "Duchess." Rooster moaned his voice thick with sleep. His eyes remained closed as his hand found its proper position on your lower back. His large hand instantly heated you. He rubbed a small circle trying to get your muscles to relax. "Go to sleep." His raspy deep voice melted you.

"I'm trying." You squeaked.

"Try harder cutie." He encouraged with a soft kiss on your forehead. You lifted your head up to take a look at him and hopefully catch that smile that made everything alright. By the time you looked his way he was already lost again. With a spinning mind you stayed awake until you saw the sun.

The morning came all too quickly. You woke up dreading saying goodbye. You knew he would be fine but you didn't want to be without him. Things had finally fallen into place for you. With a new group of friends and a new love to keep you warm every night, you weren't readily accepting of change. You knew the life, it was what you all signed up for and understood. "I'm going to miss you." That was the understatement of a lifetime.

"I'm going to more than miss you Duchess." He moaned into your ear. "I don't want to leave you" he admitted through a whisper. You smiled at him being so close to you.

"Be safe out there. I love you Rooster." You told him softly as his fingers played with his dogtags around your neck. "I'll keep these safe." You promised. He smiled at you from under the brim of his service cap.

"I know you will. I love you Duchess." He promised before pulling you in for a passionate kiss that nearly left you without oxygen. He turned to leave and head up the ramp to the carrier. Maverick was waiting for him.

Rooster turned as he walked forward, "Don't worry Rooster! I've got her!" Hangman called as he walked forward to stand by your side. He pulled you into his side to give you support. "It's just you and me now." He tried to cheer you up. It was too late, the tears were already welled in your eyes.

"Don't cry Duchess. He'll be back before you know it." He reassured you.

"I know." You whispered. Penny stood there watching the carrier leave with you and Hangman. She knew this drill time and time again.

"Are you going to be alright on your own?" She asked you. You smiled,

"Yeah I will. This idiot agreed to stay with me until Rooster comes back." You told her as you walked towards the street to head home. She raised her eyebrows. "I know it wasn't up to me, it was all Rooster." You admitted as you rolled your eyes, "I love him." You sighed.

"I know you do." She hugged you tightly before going her separate ways.

"Ok so listen I have some ideas about sleeping arrangements." Hangman said as he walked beside you.

You groaned, "Dude you're sleeping on the couch." You told him and he put his hands up in surrender.

"I had to try." He joked as he wrapped his arm around your neck while you walked.

Rooster sighed sadly as the door closed behind him. "It gets easier." Maverick offered. Rooster gave him a questioning look. "No I lied. It doesn't get any easier." He laughed.

"I left her with Hangman." Rooster groaned as he mentally slapped himself while dropping his bag down on his bunk. Maverick and him were sharing a room assignment.

"That was maybe the most genius decision you could've made or a disaster waiting to happen." Maverick said as he dressed in his flight suit. Rooster was right behind him.

"I know I don't know what I was thinking. I should've asked Bob" Bradley wanted to turn the whole carrier around and fix his mistake.

"Y/n can handle herself fairly well. Plus Bob gets weird around her when she cries. Hangman will keep her strong." Maverick tried to reassure Bradshaw.

"That's true" Rooster was reminded. The two men stopped at a railing and watched the waves pass by before they had to report for their first brief.

"You were nearly late Lieutenant." Maverick fished for an answer.

"Sorry Mav. I had to make sure I had some jewelry secured before I left." Rooster grinned. Maverick turned to the man who he loved as his own son.

"As long as I can give her away." He replied as the two men looked at the horizon on the carrier. Now they only had to come back home.