The Quest Begins

It was the last day of September, and the day had finally come. A group of young Gryffindors prepared to meet a challenge some of them had been awaiting their whole lives. The task ahead of them was daunting, and most gave them little chance for success, but they would meet the challenge before them with true Gryffindor courage. They would not back down, no matter how grave the situation. They would fight until the bitter end. They had but one chance.

"Maybe Ravenclaw will forget how to find the pitch," Fred suggested.

"Fred, your confidence is overwhelming," said James sarcastically.

Fred Weasley, Captain of the Gryffindor House Quidditch team, stood before his team. Four of those before him were his cousins. Victoire Weasley was the only player beside himself to have played an actual match for Gryffindor. His young cousins, second-year James Potter, and first-years Albus Potter and Rose Weasley and James' friends, second years Jason Wood and Danny Finnigan rounded out the team. It was easily the youngest team in the history of Hogwarts.

"Don't get me wrong," said Fred, trying to sound upbeat and failing. "You've all looked very good in practice, but Ravenclaw have five returning players all whom have played on the team for at least two seasons and they have won the Quidditch cup each of the last two years. I'm being realistic. I can't see this going well. Victoire and I are going to go over some strategy, the rest of you stay here."

Victoire and Fred left the Team Room. As they left, they could all hear Victoire whispering to Fred, "This is going to be a slaughter."

"I just love the confidence," said James with a sigh. "I've been waiting for this my whole life, I would at least like to pretend we have a chance."

"You can't really blame them," said Albus with a shrug. "They've been on some far more experienced teams going back a few years, and they got soundly beaten then."

"I think a little bit of skepticism is to be expected," said Rose logically. "None of us have any experience."

"Jason, can you talk any sense into these two?" asked James exasperatedly.

"What do you want me to say?" asked Jason. "My dad just asked me not to embarrass him completely. It won't look good for the son of the coach of Puddlemere United to have his son's team destroyed on the pitch."

"Danny, do you have any words of wisdom?" asked James. His frustration with his teammates was growing.

"You're kidding, right? I'm just hoping not to end up in the Hospital Wing," said Danny with a laugh.

James was completely exasperated. He needed someone to say something to this group to at least make them think they wouldn't embarrass themselves.

"Don't anyone move, I'll be right back," said James, and he ran out the door towards the pitch.

"Where do you suppose he's going?" asked Rose, curiously.

"Probably to bribe the Ravenclaw Seeker," said Jason. "That's about our only chance. Maybe we could slip him a Puking Pastille."

A few minutes later, James returned with his father in tow.

"Is this a private funeral, or can anybody join?" asked Harry with a laugh. The four Gryffindors didn't say anything, just looked up solemnly. James rejoined his teammates on the bench.

"Okay, all of you listen up," said Harry encouragingly. "I played for the Gryffindor Quidditch team many years ago, during a time when Gryffindor was nearly unbeatable. I know recent history hasn't been good to this team, but that's about to change. This summer, Danny and Rose, I watched you fly circles around everyone else, working together, you'll make the Ravenclaw Keeper's head spin. Jason, I played for your dad, he was one of the best, and I can see where you learned to fly. There is nothing James doesn't know about playing Keeper. I don't care how many games they've played, James knows more than any of them, and Albus is the best Seeker in the school. Believe in yourself out there. Now, are you going to quit before you start, or are you going to get out there and fight?"