Chapter Ten- Heart's Fire

Gannon came into the cell.

"Will the Magus come?"

"Who'd you expect after all of this? You've been more troublesome the longer I've known you.." Gannon replied.

"I-"

"Enough." He turned away, "Stop making trouble for yourself, it only ends in more suffering." He resigned.

"Why does there have to be any to begin with?"

"Life is pain, the sooner you know that, the better you'll deal with it."

"-But you chose it when you don't have to." Jon pleaded.

Gannon turned to him. "This is the path to power and I will not be weak again." His tone softened, "This is your lot now, prepare yourself."

Evana paced her room once more, she cast a letter to the side letting it fall

Evana paced her room once more, she cast a letter to the side letting it fall. Time was running out..

There was something else bothering her.

Martha came in and started to tidy.

It agitated Evana more and she paced faster.

"The full moon's coming up isn't it."

"How could you tell?" Evana asked dryly.

"Has your father brought the medicine you'll need?"

"It's not been a high priority, not after this letter he's sent me. I'm sure it will come but only in time which we do not have. The Radesians are moving, so far they have made it to the outer islands of Calsan. They refuse to let us help.. if only they would, this would be so much easier but Chief Marsal wouldn't dare let a queen help him. Why won't he see I don't want to let anyone else die. No matter what side they're so determined to stay on."

Her lip quivered, and she crossed her arms. "I-I have to do something!"

"Please, your highness.." Martha whispered.

"No, we need to find Jonathan, he might just be the answer. I need to confirm it but I think he could be the one thing that could sway this war."

"Do you mean he's?" Martha's eyes went big.

"I must find him." She walked to her balcony.

Aiden came in and Martha rushed over. "Wait her majesty, she is um- please wait!"

Aiden shrugged, "I'm only here for Aaron, he wants to know about the letter and-"

Everything slowed as his eyes turned to the balcony as Evana stood up on the stone railing.

His legs wouldn't move fast enough as he reached out to her, pulling her back. The grit of stone scraping under his boots as he pushed against the pillars of the railing.

He put his hand under her head as they came crashing down onto the rug.

"You REALLY don't want to get married do you?!!" Aiden said breathless,