Chapter Eleven- Mage and Courtier

The morning sun in his eyes Jon bore his gaze into the floor. His eyes unfocused and dull as he was led to the throne and the courtiers.

He bowed deeply and made no effort to look up.

Aiden's eyes wary upon him.

Eegan began, "The courtiers will begin examination on the case of Jonathan Ambrose and his association in the events of last nights attack." He paused for moment.

Jonathan was still expressionless.

Eegan continued, "The brother of our majesty as key witness has been presented. As of the majesty of Nelavem provided proof of loyalty at his own risk." He turned back to the king. "Yet would this be deemed proof of manipulation? When the fire started, are there true accounts for that time?"

"-And what evidence is there for his disloyalty?" Aiden snapped.

Aiden came down the stairs, his brother and Evana on their thrones behind him. "Would you doubt our future queen's account. When she was personally afflicted by this rebellion?"

"I mean no offence, their safety is the reason for my concern. I will not dare allow a threat to pass my judgement without true consideration." Eegan tilted his head to him, he bowed fully to the queen. "Your welfare goes beyond all of us."

Aiden turned back to his brother. "There is more evidence that Jon, is as loyal as everyone here and of myself. I refuse to persecute someone who has possessed my life in his hands and has not betrayed me for anything!"

"But who else can vouch for him without bias?" Eegan asked.

"Enough." Aaron declared.

"I see there was no reason for such unbased suspicion." Aaron said. "You not only returned my bride to me, and my brother. Your imprisonment was unjust. At this time there is no reason to believe you are the rebel in our midst. And as promised, you will be a pupil to Eegan he will be accountable for you. As for your known actions you will become a member of my court." Aaron glanced to Aiden. "Now see to it he is clothed properly. The court is dismissed!"

Aaron came down the stairs to his brother as Jon was escorted out to his chambers.

"You still allowed him to join the court?" Aiden asked,

"Yes, if anything happened I want him close." Aaron put up his hand in Aiden's protest. "I trust you, and Eegan will keep an eye on him."

"I don't trust Eegan."

"I know you don't.. You don't trust easily. But that is why I need other people and their judgement." He put a hand on Aiden's shoulder as Aiden stared after Jon. "I believe you. I just want to be cautious. Especially with Evana, I'm glad you've warmed up to her."

Aiden turned back to him. "Have you warmed up to her yourself?"

Aaron paused, "We'll get there."

Servants came to Jon's side, bringing in rich draping clothes and starting his bath with perfumes. He was scrubbed and perfumed and shampooed till he started to feel like an old lady's dog at the groomers.

They brushed and trimmed his hair till it was fluffy and draping around his face and meeting at his shoulders in a more shapely way. He was given a tunic stiff with golden embroidery it was straight cut with a high collar and parted to four strips covering down to his knees and tied with a sash around his waist. Then black pants and a robe similar to a kimono style where it was draped over the shoulders and came falling to his feet.

The fabric was a heavy muted navy with accents green brocade satin. It felt far too expensive for himself. Now he really felt like a mage.

He walked out from his room Aiden had waited at the door and called after him, "Hey have you seen J-" He stared, "Jonathan! You look ridiculous! It's incredible!" He laughed.