Chapter Fourteen- Wedding Day

Evana opened her eyes and sat up in her bed.

Today was her wedding day. Her parents now fighting the Radisians. This wedding now no more than second thought.

Now that she was in the preparation stage no one was allowed to see her till the banquet that afternoon.

The Lamarian traditions stated that it would start with a banquet then the ceremony would begin at sunset.

Sounded exhausting to be honest but already they had made many compromises for her own traditions that were for her benefit, she had to incorporate theirs as well.

She bathed in the perfumes and oils her mother had sent her. Then with Martha's help painting on the gold flowers and leaves.

She wore the heavy bridal jewelry. It was custom to have a pre-wedding overdress in silver representing her maidenhood and the true wedding dress a stark white underneath.

At the beginning the first hour was for every courtier and person of importance coming to congratulate them.

Then the actual feast started and it was permitted to mingle with the guests.

After a few conversations with the height of society she curtsied and performed all the normal pleasantries which left her exhausted, she managed to slip away to Martha.

"Have you had a chance to eat yet?"

"I believe dinner is for later, but I managed a few appetizers while no one was looking." Evana smiled.

"Have you spoken much to the king?"

"He knows a little more but I'm not yet ready and I don't think he is either."

"Shouldn't he know more- you know before the wedding."

"..Yes." Evana reluctantly said, "Right now it's just a little hard to find a quiet moment and he won't see me the same way again."

"What makes you think that?"

"He thinks of it as a fairytale, but for a person to be more-" She lowered her voice, "He'll see me a mutant-a mongrel."

"My dear lady no one in their right mind could think that, even if they tried." Martha said, "You are beyond your years. He's lucky to have you."

Evana sighed slowly, "That's just it, I don't even know if I can do this.."

"What are you going to do?" Martha whispered quickly.

Evana looked down, "I don't know.. Nothing I guess.. like he said himself, this isn't a wedding. It's a contract. Plain and simple, huh, how romantic is that?"

A glow immitted from her gloves and Martha took her hands.

The waiter offered her wine and she hastily took it.

"Well, another point to the politicians for their master plans!" Evana uttered under her breath. She clinked her wine to Martha's glass of ginger beer and walked off to find Jon.

She came to his side silently and watched the crowd.

"How are you doing with all of this?" Jon wearily asked.

"I think only with this." She raised her glass looking at it and lowered it back down.

"Do you still want to go through with this?" Jon whispered.

"No."

"Then change it." A touch of desperation hit his tone.

"How? How would you go about it? How long will I be married? I'll be a widow likely while I'm still in my twenties." She stared up at him with a forced smile. "-And even if I refuse will Lameria truly come to my aid with my country already at war. They'll need to protect themselves, maybe before I could have struck some contract though I doubt the Lamerians would have accepted me when they have no reason to. It wouldn't have been enough, and I ran out of time. I've always had the conviction to give my life for my people and now I'll have to."