13.

*THOMAS*

I was sitting in that pit for a few good minutes when I suddenly heard a jaw and a torch light that was coming closer to me with every step.

"Who's there? " - I asked right away.

"It's just me. "Chuck replied with a slight smile.

"Sorry, Chuck. " I softened.

"Here..." He handed me a few slices of bread. "You'll run better on a full of stomach. " Added and sat down next to my cell.

"Thanks, Chuck." I looked at boy and began to eat.

I didn't even realize how hungry I was.

I glanced at boy who was now playing with something in his hand.

"Hey, what do you got there? " I asked curiously what he showed me a small figurine carved from wood. "Wow, that came out pretty damn good. " I said honestly. "Who is it for? For Tessa? " I asked with a smile what he obviously reciprocated.

"I made for Tessa a necklace tag in the form of a little sparrow. " He replied still smiling. "She liked it very much and said she would never take it off. "

"I'm sure of that. " I supported him and also smiled.

"It's for my parents." Boy was a bit sad.

"You remember your parents? " I asked.

"No..." He replied sadly. "I mean, I know I must have them. And wherever they are, I'm sure they miss me... But I can't miss them because I don't remember them..." Said even though I knew it was different, that he actually really miss his parents. "Tessa promised to help me find them once we got out of here." I smiled slightly. "Will you help us? " He looked at me.

"Of course. " I nodded. " I will. "

Chuck turned his head toward the gates and wiped his eyes slightly. I guessed that he must be wiping away tears. He was very brave. He's just a child, and he's been through so much.

"What do you think you're gonna find out there tomorrow? " Pointed to the labyrinth.

"I don't know." I replied, to which boy was a bit sad. "But if there's a way out, Chuck, we're gonna find it." I added right away.

"Tessa says so too." He looked at me. "She likes you very much and she believes that thanks to you we'll get out of here. " Said, and I didn't know what to answer. "Admit that you like her too. " Smiled significantly, to which I laughed. "Well, admit it. "

"Fine. " I smiled. "Yes, I like her very much. "

"She deserves to be happy. " Boy said. "She's like a sister to me... Thomas... If something happens... Will you promise me that you'll take care of her? " He asked suddenly, which surprised me very much.

"Chuck... What would happen? We'll all get out of here, you'll see. " I took boy by the hand. "We'll find your parents and everything will end well. "

"These people won't let us do that. " He interrupted me. "They'll not allow us to do this. If it's true that you, Tessa and Teresa worked there, then only you can free us from all this. "

"And so it'll be, you'll see. "

"But you promise? "

"Chuck... "

"Promise to take care of her! "

Like Chuck, I had tears in my eyes. I wanted to say something that would comfort him and me, but I ran out of words.

"I promise. " I replied after a while and looked into his eyes. "I'll take care of you, both of you. " I singled out the last word. "Because we will all get out of here and together we will go through it. "

My companion, however, said nothing more. After a while, he handed me his figurine.

"Chuck, why would you give this to me? " I asked slightly confused.

"I can't remember them anyway..." He said. "But maybe if you find a way out, you can give it to them for me. " Added and left.

I looked at the statue and after a while I called Chuck back. After a few moments, boy was already at my cell.

"Put out your hand. " I asked and after a while glader did it. I gave him his work and said. "I want you to give that to them yourself. " I looked into his eyes. "We're gonna get out of here. All of us. Okay? I promise. " I added.

Boy looked into my eyes so I could see his tears.

"Pinky swear? " He asked and showed his little finger.

"Pinky swear. " I nodded and crossed our fingers.