33.

The woman's name was Mary. She took blood from Thomas and later gave it to Brenda. So he had to sit patiently for a while. She examined me and dressed me with minor wounds. She asked me to stay and listen to what she wanted to tell us.

Jorge was also with us, who didn't give up on the step of the sick Brenda.

"In the beginning we were lost..." She said. "All we knew for sure, was that the younger you were, the stronger your chances."

"You worked for WICKED? " Thomas asked.

"Long time ago..." Woman replied sadly. "You know, at first, we had the best intentions. Find a cure, save the world. It was clear you kids were the key, because you were immune. But why? Eventually, we found an answer. An enzyme produced by the brains of the immune. Once separated from the bloodstream, it can as powerful agent to slow the spread of the virus. "

"So, you found a cure? " I asked and glanced at Brenda and then at Mary.

"Not exactly. " She replied. "The enzyme can't be manufactured, only harvested from the immune. The young. Of course, that didn't stop WICKED. If they had their way they'd sacrifice an entire generation. All for this. A gift of biology. Of evolution. But one not meant for all of us. "

A moment later, she injected the substance into Brenda.

"How long will that give her? " I asked.

"It's different for everyone. " Doctor replied. "A few months maybe. But that's the catch, isn't it? She'll always need more." She sighed. "Let's go outside..." Said to Jorge. "Let them rest. " Added and they left the tent.

"I'll go too." I interjected and got up quickly.

"Stay." Thomas came up to me.

"You need to rest. " I replied.

"And you don't? "

"I'm fine. "

"Tess... Can we talk? Please..."

"About what? "

"You know what..." He whispered, and looked at me uncertainly.

I looked him in the eye for a moment. I blinked several times to chase away the tears and then replied:

"We don't need to talk about it... Now you have to... Both of you... " I pointed to Brenda sleeping. "You have to rest. " I added and moved towards the exit, but brunet grabbed my hand.

"Tessa, please... "

"Thomas... You don't have to explain yourself to me. Really, I understand. " I wanted to go out again, but he stopped me again.

"No, you don't understand, because it's not what you think. "

"How do you know what I might think? "

"Because I see it in your eyes. "

I lowered my eyes sadly.

"We'll talk about it, when you rest. " I looked him uncertainly in the eyes, and after a while I left the room.

Jorge was waiting outside. He immediately thanked me for standing up for Brenda.

"There's nothing to thank me, really. " I smiled slightly. "I know how much you care about her. I know the feeling. "

"If I lost her... "

"I know. " I put my hand on his shoulder.

"You've lost someone you cared, haven't you?"

"Well... I'll not deny it. "

"Who? If I may ask... "

"He... He was my brother..." I replied and wiped away my tears.

"What was his name? " He asked sadly.

"Chuck. "