Chapter 4

Natalie dropped her head onto her steering wheel. What had she gotten herself into? She was not a liar. Yet here she was, lying to the person she was investigating. And leading him on. 

It seemed like a good idea at the time. She could pretend she was into him, go on a few dates, figure out who he really was, and see if he was guilty of dealing counterfeit bills. But she looked so vile doing that.

Natalie wasn't the type of person who lied about who she was to get information. Lord, what have I done?

She sat up straight and checked herself out in the mirror. Lots of freckles. Long, curly red hair. Green eyes. A deceitful heart.

She was a terrible person.

"Ugh." Natalie curled her hands into fists. Maybe one date wouldn't be so bad. One date, then disappear. Of course, she might risk the chance of seeing him again because of Damon and Raelyn.

But one date couldn't possibly be that bad.

Her phone vibrated.

                                   Hey, it's Noah. What time works

                                   for you?

                                                  Hi. Anytime for me. How

                                                  about tomorrow for dinner?

                                  Sure. Pick you up at six?

Not the greatest idea. He couldn't see that she was living in a hotel for the time being. Natalie thought quickly. He might also recognize her car. 

                                                  How about I meet you

                                                  At the Summit at the

                                                  Broadmoor?

                                   Works for me. See you then.

Natalie let out a grateful sigh. The Broadmoor Resort was a great place for a date. Lots of people there, an art gallery to walk through, and beautiful sights. A safe place. 

She started her car and pulled out of the parking lot of the grocery store. Natalie drove through town to get to her hotel quickly, pushing the speed limit. She wanted her chips and guacamole and then a nap.

One day in and this investigation was already giving her a headache.

That didn't seem promising. And to top it off, she was lying to a nice guy. Some woman she turned out to be. Her mother would not be proud.

The next night, Natalie was standing in front of the mirror in her hotel room, judging her appearance. She wore an olive green, off the shoulder, high-low cocktail dress. Her red hair was in long curls down her back. Part of it was pinned back.

She had readjusted and restyled it at least fifty times before settling on it down. Natalie sighed. Noah was going to have to deal with what he got.

She got into her car and drove to the Broadmoor. Half of her was excited because someone had asked her out, and the other half felt horribly guilty. Once she had parked at the Broadmoor, Natalie sat in her car and waited.

She gave herself a mental pep talk. One half of the date she was allowed to enjoy herself, and the other she had to use to find information. She just hoped he didn't ask her out again. Maybe she could do something that would bother him? But again, that was lying.