Chapter 15: The Sins: Envy

My thoughts were flashing by so fast in my head I thought I'd be dizzy.

First, we'd made it through the first Sin we'd met: Sloth. Second, my power was greater than I thought. Third, I think Laveda knows something and is trying to help us. And fourth, were all standing just inside the mushroom lit tunnel, unsure of the next section which was filled with lush greens and plants that glowed in the same dim lighting as the last.

We all looked at each other with wary eyes, wondering what this forest-like realm held for creatures and what Sin was waiting.

"Well better get on with it!" Slick muttered rather loudly and stepped into the glowing forest.

I trailed behind cautiously with Sagiv in tow. Unlike the previous realm this one gave off no aura or feeling.

I couldn't tell which of us was more nervous. Sagiv was slinking along so slow I thought he'd get lost and I was moving so slowly I flinched when a twig crunched under my foot.

"Oh hell! Would you two move it!" Slick all but roared as he stood more then ten feet ahead of us in the dense forest.

I sighed and trudged faster, feeling even more uneasy. Just as we heard a rustling in a thick bush Laveda's voice whisked in.

"Watch out for the Noctuams." Her voice chimed cheerily.

"Noctuams?"

Laveda said nothing in the way of a reply to my question though she just carried on her way, now leading us.

"Noctuams are the owl/fox Familiars you see very few of in Hytia. They're pretty much harmless in Hytia, but...here.. I don't know." Sagiv's voice informed me.

My eyes lit up then with knowledge and I nodded.

"Annnd the Trigores and Likas and Likos," Laveda said just as cheerily as before.

I looked at Sagiv wondering how many beasts there were in this realm and what they were. He met my wide eyes with his own.

"I have never heard of those beasts."

Great. Just great. I couldn't even ask Laveda because she'd simply chuckle and tell me I'd find out real soon.

I sighed and ignored the growing fear in the pit of my stomach as we continued into the treacherous forest and began to study our surroundings.

Everything was illuminated in that lush glow of green. It burned brightly in the darkness and allowed us to see better than in Sloth's realm. Unlike in most forests, there were no birds that sung, no monkeys that screeched, no hissing of snakes...no nothing. Everything was pure silence beyond a slight breeze, the trickle of a small river and the sound of our footfalls against the thick grass.

I remained silent, too on edge to talk when finally it seemed we reached a small clearing. All of us seeming to be exhausted and sank down.. All but Laveda. She remained standing and once she sipped some of the river that ran close to the clearing she turned to address us.

"I'm going to travel ahead," she said.

We all just nodded, irritated that she even bothered to tell us this time. As soon as she left though my fear quickened and not a moment had passed when I heard something rustling a bit at the edge of the clearing.

"Did you hear that?" I whispered, so on edge I swore I was going to pass out.

Slick looked at me like I was a complete idiot, but Sagiv was standing, gazing where I had heard the sound.

"What is it?" I asked him, ignoring Slick who was guzzling water.

Sagiv crept closer and then flicked his ears back in distaste.