prelude

Author's Note

Hello and welcome! The journey of Rooney Keros begins :O I am so excited to continue bringing this book to life. Constructive criticism, comments and votes are all appreciated, I'd love to interact with you!

1914

.1914.

          Albus Dumbledore looked at the young witch in front of him, scratching his short beard absentmindedly. She was sulking, her uniform rumpled and dusted with ash, which continued to pile onto her shirt and skirt as she huffed, sending out a new cloud of smoke and embers from her nose. "Miss Keros, your behaviour earlier simply cannot be tolerated at Hogwarts," the Defence Professor leaned against his desk, the girl in question scuffing one of her shoes against the stone floor of his classroom in response. He tried again, "Miss Keros, you have to understand that lighting that girl's robes on fire was not acceptable behaviour! Regardless of your heritage." Again, the girl gave him little to respond to. He had been trying to get her to respond for the larger part of two hours, and the sun was beginning to set outside his classroom's windows. Again, the older man idly scratched at his beard, glancing at his pocket watch in impatience. Sighing to himself, he shifted his weight again, standing on his feat once more. "Miss Keros, I have taken it upon myself to call in an old student of mine. I believe that he might be able to help you, as he too struggled to make many acquaintances during his years at Hogwarts, instead finding solace in the many beastly friends he found on our grounds. It is my hope that the two of you will bond over the next few hours and the weekend, should he arrive any time soon. Perhaps he could even become your mentor-?"

          The Professor trailed off, raising an eyebrow as the young witch finally looked up at him. "He's like me, Professor?" Albus tilted his head, carefully choosing his next words. "Not quite like you, but I do believe that the both of you share enough common ground to help. I reached out to your parents, and we agreed that it would be easiest if he was informed of your situation. I do believe that is why he has agreed to return for the weekend." The girl's eyes widened, and she gaped at her professor. "So he knows I'm a-," before she could finish, the door to Albus's classroom burst open. 

         "So sorry I'm late professor, I was having some problems with the hippogr- '' The newcomer came to a halt, gaping at the two already inside the classroom. He was rather wind kept, and he wore no coat over his pants and suspenders. His white shirt was messy and stained with dirt, and there were brown and grey smudges along the boy's face, covering the ruddy freckles that were plastered all along the bridge of his nose and cheeks. He hurriedly ran a hand through his hair, in a rather hopeless attempt to tidy it. The curly mess ended up worse than before, causing the young witch to snicker, bringing the boy's attention to her. "Hello, er, I'm Newt Scamander. I-uh, I, well, you-" Before the boy could continue to fumble with his words, Albus walked over, clasping a hand onto the younger's shoulder. "Ah, Newt, quite alright. Now, this here is Miss. Rooney Keros, our newest resident troublemaker. She apparently takes after you," He then turned to the girl, "Miss Keros, this is the boy I was just telling you about, Newt Scamander. Now, you've both been properly introduced, so I'll leave you to it! Oh, and do try not to destroy my classroom while I'm gone."