Chapter 22

HE sat down on the hotel room's king-sized bed and wiped the tears that streamed down his face, ignoring the weak sobs that escaped his mouth. Sending a heartbroken glance at the suitcase in front of him, he grabbed the phone in his hand tighter and glanced at its screen.

It was around nine o'clock. And it was getting later by the minute as he knew that he spend a lot of time searching for a place that agreed to take him in. And despite being alright in a room that he got for free because of his name and who he was related to, he still found it hard to forget what had happened around two hours earlier.

He bit his lower lip in frustration, not at his wife. But at himself.

Because how dare he not tell her that Lauren forced him to interact with her?

How dare he not tell her that Lauren drugged him?

He sighed and shook his head, tears running down his face. The phone in his hand vibrated in his hand.

He raised it to his eyesight to read what was on the screen. And when he did, his eyes began filling up with tears once again.

Chan.

The leader of his group. Former group.

He sighed and pressed the green answer button, then put the phone close to his ears.

"Hello?"

"Hyunjin, hey!" Chan's soft, caring voice began, trying to ignore all the noise the other members were making in the background.

"Hey, Chan Hyung..." he spoke in Korean with tearful eyes, his voice shaking along with his hand.

"Hyunjin, how is everything going? Are you alright?"

He shook his head, "no, I'm not alright, Hyung. I will never be."

The sentence caused him to break down into more powerful tears of pain and heartbreak. Chan motioned for the other members to be quiet before turning to the phone once again, his heart aching at the sound of his younger friend in distress.

"Would you like to tell me what's going on?"

Hyunjin nodded, then proceeded to tell his story to his older, more responsible friend.

"We were doing fine until someone told her that I was cheating on her! When she found somebody else's underwear under my bed, she kicked me out..."

"Woah, woah, woah!" Chan interrupted. "Hyunjin, you were cheating on your wife?"

The younger boy shook his head desperately, letting out a sob. "No, Chan, I promise."

"Then what happened?"

The boy gulped and hesitated, biting his inner cheek as he thought. "S-She forced me. She drugged me."

"Who is she?" Chan asked, slightly baffled at his friend's words.

"Lauren. She's Mal's enemy. She thought she could get back at Mal for 'stealing' that stupid movie role from her, and that's how she did it."

"Hyunjin, she raped you?" Chan shook his head and rubbed his temple in exasperation, "why the hell didn't you tell that to your wife?"

"Because..." he hesitated, his voice shaking.

Why didn't he tell her?

He knew his wife was the most supporting person he knew apart from his friends.

So why didn't he try telling her when he had the chance?

Why didn't he tell her before Lauren got to twist the story and ruin his relationship with his wife?

"Hyung, I was scared," he spoke and turned his palms into fists to prevent them from shaking further, "I was so scared..."

"Of what?"

"Of her thinking of me differently. She thought I was a good boy and she trusted me. I didn't want to ruin that image," he explained, "I thought Lauren would just let it go once she got what she wanted. I had no idea she would try and tell her."

Chan nodded in sympathy.

Well, now your image is ruined, Hyunjin's brain thought sarcastically, without her even knowing what happened.

"Listen," Chan began, "why don't you rest for a couple of days, call her and then go back home? If she's home, apologize and try to explain what happened. If she's not, try to cook dinner and when she comes back, try to do the same thing."

Hyunjin paused for a moment, trying to absorb the words before finally nodding.

"Okay, Hyung. I'll do that."

Chan smiled and sighed in satisfaction. "Good."

The boy stared at the walls of his room and breathed out sadly, tearing up once again.

"I miss you, and the members. More than anything,"

Chan nodded, then wiped a small tear that threatened to stream down his face.

"Me too, Hyunjin," he replied, "me too."

It didn't take them long before the two hung up.

Hyunjin stared at the phone screen, where Chan's name once was, and allowed heartbroken tears to stream down his face. He lay down on the bed, ignoring the soft squish that followed. He rested his two arms on his stomach and stared at the ceiling, his vision blurring by the minute.

Why?

Just, why?

He sobbed.

Why couldn't he do anything right?

He gulped and swallowed his saliva, soft sobs escaping his mouth.

Why couldn't he be good and honest to his wife, just like she requested?

Why was he so helpless?

____________________________