Chapter 1

HE flinched away as soon as he felt the sizzling pain on his soft slender fingers. Rolling his eyes slightly, he hurried towards the sink, opened the tap and pushed his hand under the stream of cool water. The pain faded away after a few seconds, which made him close the tap and turn his sight to the pan on the stove.

She liked pancakes.

He was flipping the pancakes around in the pan when he heard the clinking sound of heels coming towards the gigantic kitchen.

He set the pan on the stove once again and turned to the doorframe just as she stormed inside the room.

Considering that they had just woken up, he had no idea how she managed to prepare herself in such a short amount of time.

Then again. He didn't exactly sleep with her in the same room, did he?

"Good morning!" He greeted while bowing a little, trying to show respect for his wife.

She stared at him for a moment, her eyes as cold as stone. He stood up straight and backed away slightly as soon as he saw the look on her face, his heart racing with fear.

God, she was so intimidating.

She stared at his appearance for a moment, and the boy could almost feel her judging his choice of clothing.

He regretted wearing those wide, baggy pyjamas.

"Don't you like my clothes?" He asked in Korean, baffled as he took a glance at his slim figure, which was completely hidden behind the wide pants and sweatshirt.

Before he could glance at her heartless expression once again, he was met by a sizzling noise coming from behind him. Specifically from the stove.

"The pancakes!" He exclaimed and turned around, trying to reach for the now half-burned pan.

She tore her sight away from him, rolled her eyes and hurried out of the kitchen.

"Are you hungry?" He called out in Korean, setting the sizzling hot pan on the kitchen island.

No answer.

She approached the front door and unlocked it in one swift move, then got out of the house.

It was only when he heard the noise of the front door locking once again did he allow himself to set his arms on the kitchen island and set his head between them, a sigh of distress escaping his lips.

They had been married for a week now, and he couldn't even manage to get a word out of her. Only judgemental looks and cold glares of disapproval.

She didn't even like his existence. Because why else would she hurry out of the house first thing in the morning?

She didn't even like seeing him.

The thought made his heart ache.

Why did he have to get married to someone who didn't even love him?

Most importantly, why did he have to embarrass himself in front of her every morning, only to cower back in fear of her snapping his neck or something worse?

Why couldn't he impress her? Or even make her tolerate him?

He allowed a small tear to escape his eyes. He stood up straight and glanced at the burnt pancakes in front of him, his stomach heaving at the sight.

God, he couldn't imagine anyone eating that.

He swallowed uncomfortably, then turned away, soon approaching the exit of the kitchen.

That went great.

"She doesn't like me, Jisung!" He whined in English, putting the phone close to his ear in order to hear the person on the other end of the line.

"Jeez, what makes you say that?"

The boy paused dramatically for a moment.

"Um, I don't know! Maybe because we haven't had a single conversation ever since we got married! We don't sleep in the same room, we don't eat at the same table, we don't go out together!" The boy exclaimed back, rubbing his temple in distress.

"Hyunjin, relax! It's normal if both of your parents just forced you to live under the same roof." Jisung reasoned, his voice calm.

"Have you tried speaking to her about things she liked?"

That was when it hit him.

"I..." he began, almost slapping his forehead in realization, "I didn't-"

"Wait! You didn't start a proper conversation with her this whole time?" Jisung scoffed. "What, are you an idiot?"

He didn't have to be told that twice.

"Listen, Hyunjin..." Jisung began after sighing, "I'm not exaggerating when I say that every person on earth is begging to be in your place right now. You need to get on her good side, okay? Be nice to her, dress nice, talk nice, smell nice. Everything about you should be nice and cute. Considering that you're a visual in an all-visual group, you won't find that too hard." Jisung advised.

"What do I do if it's not working?"

Jisung smiled. "Oh, it will work. Trust me. And if it doesn't, try asking for her help in things. She will feel included then and will eventually talk to you."

Hyunjin sighed, running a hand through his soft hair.

"By the way," Jisung started, his voice sad, "we really miss you."

The sentence brought tears to the boy's brown eyes.

"I miss you guys too. But, don't worry. I'm still practicing..."

"I know, Hyunjin. But please. Don't strain yourself too hard."

Hyunjin nodded in guilt, and the pair hung up not too long after.

____________________