Lifering x Reader: Surfs Up!

Thank you for @1-800-GUMB411-C00K1E
for requesting! This was very fun to write.

You lie in bed as you wait for your friends' answers. Summer has begun, and the weather is perfect for a trip to the beach. You switch in and out of other apps until you get a message from your friends. You spring up from your bed and stuff your phone into your backpack.

You grab a few snacks and your trusty surfboard. You take some time while you get more essentials, and maybe some sunglasses to look cool. You head out the apartment door after you pack everything. Marching down the stairs because the elevator broke for the fifth time this week, you reach the exit.

What you don't expect is that your friends are already waiting for you outside the apartment entrance. Their vehicle is parked behind them.

"I know you guys live nearby, but how did you get here so fast?" You ask.

"We went a little faster than the speed limit, that's all. C'mon, those tides won't be hanging around for long!"

"Alright, alright! I hope you brought your snacks. You ate all of mine last time."

"I can't promise anything." They say.

The drive to the beach was short but enjoyable. Your friends turned on music on the radio, and it was one of your favorite songs. As all friends do, they sing along without a care in the world as people look at them.

Once you get there, you haul your surfboard out of the car's trunk. You don't want to stay on the sand any longer, and you place your board on the water.

"You wanna join?" You ask your friends.

"Obviously! We're going to swim though, we have no idea how you're able to stand on that."

You nod. You get onto your board and paddle slowly, popping up once a wave moves in front of you. You glide on the water, keeping your balance. Your friends watch you, and you end it with a leap on the wave. You feel like you're floating on air. Your board slides over to your group.

"What'd you think?" You say.

"What do I think? How'd you do that?! How did you not fall over?!"

To be fair, you almost fell off, but you kept your mouth shut.

One of your other friends gives them a nudge. "Ow— fine, fine. I'll demonstrate how I would've failed instead!"

"I don't think you have to, you can just say it—" You say.

"Nonsense! Showing you is way more fun!"

They dive into the water and flail their arms around. You blankly stare at them.

Your other friend shakes their head. "Why do you do this?"

"Because I can—" They accidentally inhale some of the water and start coughing.

You wonder if you should call someone for help, but you hear a whistle.

A lifeguard jumps into the water, and you're taken by surprise. "We've got a sinker! I'm going to need everyone to move out of the way."

Your friend sputters out the rest of the water inside their lungs. "Wait, I'm fine, I'm just fake-drowning to prove my point!"

"You...  WHAT?!" You watch as confused as he is. "This is the second time this week I've had to leave my post without a reason!"

He's fuming. Your friend is completely baffled, and you try to think of something. "I'm sorry for my friend over here. Look, how about I fix this by buying you some shaved ice later?"