Chapter 7: The Tragedy of Time

Ultimately, Din had lost the battle and they'd told the Trandoshan they'd think about it and give him an answer by morning. Mando of course was determined not to think about it. It was needlessly dangerous and no matter what Vella thought, he knew it wouldn't be worth the trouble. High status planets like Cantonica were teeming with wealthy lowlifes, lots of gang bosses, lots of high ranking mercs, and worst of all: former Imperial officers. Not exactly a place Din loved going, but he had in his day. He'd been to lots of places in his day.

They made it back to the Razor Crest and took the kid inside. Vella didn't know if it was the drive, or the relief of having his father back, but the child was exhausted, huge brown eyes fluttering shut as he finally fell asleep. She couldn't help the smile that came to her face as she tucked him safely in the little hammock above Din's bed and closed the door.

Din glanced at her before turning away. In an attempt to avoid the topic altogether, he kept himself busy. His gloved hand brushed the frozen flakes of ice off his chestplate and unloaded his weapons, cleaning the ones he had used.

Vella could sense his determination to avoid the topic completely, she felt stubborn fumes practically coming from his helmeted head. She looked at him, a frown creasing her face as she tried to dive deeper into his emotions. There was quite an assortment to choose from. They varied from bad to worse, but they were all too intertwined, too muddled, so no matter how hard she tried she couldn't truly know what he was feeling.

Neither could Din, honestly. Which only frustrated him more.

"Mando..." she said quietly. Vella watched his helmet turn slightly, almost as if he'd listen but didn't want to look like he was. "I think we should take the job."

"It's too dangerous... for me and for the child." His voice was quiet but firm, she could sense his frustration and anxiety like an icy mist emanating from him that cooled the skin on her cheeks. But maybe that was just the icy planet she currently found herself on. "It isn't worth the risk," he concluded.

Vella was silent for a moment, taking the time to think about what she'd say before speaking. "I understand why you're being precautious, I know the child means a lot to you. But maybe there are precautions we can take to ensure you and the child stay safe while on this job."

He turned away from her and headed to check the results from the diagnostic. "I said no," he muttered. She watched him again use his right hand to press the buttons on the datapad, his left was clenched now. He still hadn't used it all evening.

She eyed it for a moment longer before looking at the back of his helmet. "You're hurt aren't you?" Vella asked.

He ignored her for a few silent seconds before shaking his head, his face might have betrayed him but his mask never had. It was emotionless, it gave no answer.

"You've been careful with your left arm all night. Let me see it," she said softly, holding out her hand and stepping toward him.

Mando shook his head again and cradled it in front of him, out of her reach. He didn't need help, and he especially didn't want her help.

Vella could feel the cold growing, he was closing her out more and more and it was becoming increasingly frustrating. First what happened at the Lodge, now he's deciding to pout instead of letting her help him.

With a deep breath, she looked up at him. By the tilt of his visor she knew she was in his line of sight, at least through the corner of his eye. Slowly and cautiously she reached down and took hold of his wrist, pulling it up level with her. She felt along his arm near the inside crook of his elbow, where the skin was vulnerable between his vambrace and pauldron. Her hands felt it before she saw it, blood. Though it didn't make the sickly sight of the red substance any less concerning when she lifted her hand and saw it against her fingers.