XII - ALWAYS AND FOREVER

A/N: Hello, guys! It's been a while... but I came back with a 5k chapter that, honestly, is my favorite one for now. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Feel free to comment and leave starts💕

────────── ★ ★ ★ ──────────

"What the— How the—" Levi stutters and furiously faces his cousin. "What is wrong with you, Kat?! We're trying to live here easily and secretly and you do that?!"

"I know!" She sighs exasperatedly and covers her face with her hands. "I don't know what got into me, but whenever I'm near him, I'm myself! It's hard to conceal everything."

Nick frowns. "What do you mean?"

"I— I don't know. I get shy, my shadows get shy. They don't even tell me when he's near."

Now that is weird. Since the first time the two men met Katherine — when they were children —, they noticed she's an alert person, always analyzing everything around her and, somehow, knowing when people come close to her. After some time, Freya explained to them that the girl's shadows tell her who is nearby and will approach her. However, according to the original witch, this loud darkness vanishes with a person that they trust to keep Katherine safe and happy forever, with someone that will never give up on her or be the cause of sadness — at least not while they are alive.

In almost five centuries, there has been only one person for whom her shadows have been silent: Elijah. The men still remember their cousin's startles when he used to come behind his daughter to surprise her with a gift, a news or himself. After she was adopted, her darkness never doubted that Elijah wouldn't take care of her, not even a single time.

So if Katherine's shadows suddenly go quiet with The Darkling, there's only two options. The first one is that, since he's a Shadow Summoner, he'd manipulate the darkness himself to be silent towards the woman. The second is that their cousin's shadows trust him to keep Katherine safe, in the same way they trusted — or not — Elijah. After all, her darkness is clearly not wanting him to be her father.

They want to make them fall in love. Nick telepathically tells Levi.

Or maybe they know they will fall in love. He replies in the hybrid's mind.

Do you think they can be a couple?

He frowns while pouting, genuinely thinking of Katherine and General Kirigan falling in love and being a couple. Honestly, I think it can work.

The two look at their cousin, who's too immersed in her own thoughts to pay attention to them or to anyone at the tavern. That's another sign that her and The Darkling indeed may work, since Katherine's never regretted after an argument and, mainly, is never distracted enough to not analyze others or the place she is. And right now she is more distracted than ever.

Nick turns to Levi with widened eyes, while the other is with his mouth slightly opened. Both men are shocked at the woman's current behavior. Ok, I agree with you.

And with her shadows.

They wait a few minutes until Katherine gets out of her own thoughts to discuss what they will do now, however, after quite a long time, they notice that won't happen if they don't interfere.

She almost falls from the wooden chair when Levi hits the table they're at. "Levi!" The Shadow Singer yells at him and puts a hand on her chest in an attempt to stop her fast heart beating.