Chapter 1: Luck of the Draw

Twenty-One looked around the hilly landscape, her home, Numberland. She knew she wasn't going to be here much longer. No-one was. They were all leaving to explore the planets beyond. Today was the first day of preparations.

Normally, Twenty-One would be more than excited to learn and explore the universe. But she was going to miss home. She looked toward her left, where all of Numberland had gathered.

She was going to miss her friends.

Twenty-one pushed the thoughts out of her mind, took a few deep breaths, and stepped out in front of her friends.

"Hello, number explorers! Today's the day! Who's ready to begin!" Cheers rose up from the crowd.

"Okay! First order of business." Twenty-One pulled a fishbowl filled with folded slips of paper out of thin air. "We will be splitting into teams to explore different parts of the galaxy. The slip of paper you draw will determine your team; red, yellow, green, or blue."

Twenty-One reached into the bowl and pulled out a piece of paper to demonstrate.

Red.

"See? Simple!" Twenty-One showed her paper to the crowd. "Your turn! Single file please!"

After about twenty chaotic minutes, everybody had different colored slips of paper. Everyone had different reactions to their color. Three and Four were talking excitedly, and Twenty-Seven was just staring at her paper blankly. Eighteen was spinning around in circles(as always), and One and Two were hugging each other while she cried.

"Okay! Who's ready to get started?" Another cheer. "Alright! Those who are good at building, come over here! You lot can build whatever we need to get exploring! Those who are academically talented over there, and you all can plan for the big day! Let's get to work, everyone!"