Chapter VI

Begrudgingly the young tidemaker stalks up to her mortal enemy. Eryx Solovev is sitting at the summoner table surrounded by inferni. The girls around the table swoon when He runs a hand through his ruffled chestnut curls. He says something causing the table to erupt in laughter. Some boys even slapped him on the back. Suppressing the urge to roll her eyes, Emery approaches the table.

His eyes immediately meet hers. He grins, "Well well look who it is." Emery rubs her temple while Seki hovers behind her. "And how may I assist you pet?" Solovev asks smirk widening. He spares a glance toward Seki before focusing on Emery. 

"I told you to stop calling me that," Emery replies, still rubbing her temple.

"My mistake pet," He remarks, causing her to inhale sharply.

"Solovev this is serious. It's about the thing."

"What was that? It's very loud in here. You have to speak up," He tilts his head in her direction exposing his ear. Emery sends a silent prayer to give her patience.

Leaning down so her lips are level with his ear she whispers, "the mission." His eyes widened. Standing up he rounds the table to the confusion of the grisha around him. "Where are you going, Eryx?" Mikołaj questions. The boy in question turns back to his friend. "Don't get your knickers in a knot Mikołaj. I just have a few things to work out with Tarasovna over here," Solovev tells him wrapping around her.

Turning them toward the door he gestures for her to lead. Without hesitating, she hurries out of the crowded dining hall. Several heads turn as she passes with Seki to her right and Solovev to her left. The trio walked down the hallway leading to the dining room in silence not stopping until the aching in Emery's head had partially subsided.

"Solovev, this is Seki Tsuki. She is a fabrikator that is going to take some measurements for something on the mission. Do you think you can handle that?" Emery asks tiredly.

"I can handle her taking measurements, but what are they for?" Solovev inquiries taking his arm off her shoulders.

"Clothes that are like keftas but blend in with ordinary citizens of Ravka," Seki responds, guiding him towards an abandoned hall off the one leading into the dining room. Emery follows leaning against the ornately designed wall. The candlelight bathed the hall in a yellowish flush.

"And why do I need clothes like that?" He asks, standing in front of Seki. Hidden in the shadows Emery answers him, "So the drueskelle don't have an easy target. Blending in with the rest of the foot traffic can bring us to the safest path toward the location."

"What location? What is the mission?" Seki pipes up. The two etheralki exchange a look.

"We can't tell you, Seki. Just know to make the clothes warm," Emery responds pushing herself off the wall towards the pair.

"Don't repeat anything about this mission to anyone. Understood?" Solovev says sternly. Seki's eyes widened.

Solovev glares at the young fabrikator making her step behind Emery vehemently shaking her head. 

"Use your words," Solovev presses. 

"I won't tell a soul," Seki responds from behind Emery. Eryx gives her a boyish grin, "I knew you'd see it my way." 

"Focus Solovev. We need the measurements," Emery scolds. To her dismay, Solovev picked up on the strain in her voice.   

"I'm ready when you are" He adds opening his arms. Seki takes a step forward. She raises a tap measure to his arms scribbling in her journal. 

"Hvorfor satte mørklingen deg på dette oppdraget? *Why did the Darkling put you on this mission?*  He questions. 

"Jeg trodde du snakket shu," *I thought you spoke shu* Emery answers ignoring his question.