39.

" HE'S GONE

" HE'S GONE. "

xiao never came to school you had hope that maybe he'd wake up just in time but it's alright. you were gonna check up on him after school anyway.

"y/n? are you sure you really don't want any help since xiao is..." your teacher didn't continue that sentence.

the second year and you were still stuck on cleaning the classrooms after school. xiao was suppose to be your partner but he wasn't available at the moment.

you kept denying the help your teacher kept trying to offer. how she could get another student to help you out but your answer would always be no.

it was always xiao who helped you and you wanted it to stay that way. you didn't need anyone else just the memories of him and you cleaning the classroom blasting music.

"I'll be okay and I won't be alone much longer xiao will wake up soon," you smiled. your teacher nodded slowly with a pitiful smile.

you've been saying that for a couple days now. were you trying to convince yourself that everything was going to be okay?

because no matter how much you told yourself he was gonna wake up soon, he never did.

"whatever you say then I'll be at the teacher's lounge if you need me," she informed before sliding the door shut and walking away.

"venti? why the fuck are you crying !?" you were stunned picking up the phone to be greeted by cries. venti had called you as you were sweeping the floor with news.

"he's gone y/n," venti cried out and your eyes widen. that was all you needed to hear as you hung up the phone and the broom in your hand dropped to the floor.

you didn't believe it, xiao wasn't gone. he couldn't be. he promised to stay with you after highschool. he didn't promise to marry you but you had your hopes on doing so.

he was the only person you were so devoted to this much. you couldn't lose him, not another person. if he never met you he'd be alive and well.

if he never met you.

"huh? y/n where are you going !?" a nearby teacher had witnessed you sliding the door open and running down the hall. you didn't even stop at the voice you were just focused on something else.

xiao.

you were hoping to god venti was lying or some sort of miracle would come. you could feel your phone ringing and you knew venti was spam calling you but you didn't have time.

you had to run on your own two feet to the hospital or if you didn't you wouldn't be able to see him for the last time.

you just wanted to see him one more time in person.

"y/n? are you okay?" hu tao's eyes had widen when she saw your exhausted form panting for breath on the brink of collapsing.

"don't tell me you ran all the way here from the school," lumine stepped up reaching her arms out making sure to catch you if you were to fall.

"is he okay?"

dumbass, venti just told you he's gone. is he okay my ass.

"is who okay?" itto tilted his head coming out of xiao's room. "xiao obviously you dumbass," childe answered nudging itto with his elbow.

"he isn't gone right tell me he isn't gone," you stood right back up shaking lumine to answer you.

"huuh? whatt are youuu talking aboutt," her words dragged on as you kept shaking her trying to get an answer faster.

"of course he isn't gone it's the opposite he's awake," yanfei answered for you and you let go of lumine breathing out a sigh of relief.

lumine wanted to ask you what you meant by he's gone but it was already too late. you were already off running to xiao's room not caring about the people you almost crashed into.

"xiao!" you happily called out opening the door. they weren't lying, xiao was sitting up his eyes open with venti beside him crying and ranting about how he didn't want to lose a close friend again.

"y/n," his lips curled into a gentle smile happy to see you alright. before he had fully closed his eyes all he could think about was if you were okay and that you wouldn't take all the blame if he were to die.

xiao nodded at venti to leave the room so you guys could be left alone. venti followed for once, passing by you he came to a stop when you suddenly asked him.

"you told me was gone that wasn't funny at all venti," you scolded. you were mad at him for making your heart stop like that.

"huh? gone? I said he's gone out of his slumber?" venti tilted his head. "no you clearly said xiao's gone y/n," you argued wiping your eyes.

"oops! looks like the signal cut me off, sorry y/n!" he giggled and you just shoved him out the door shutting it loudly.

"I SAID I WAS SORRY"

"APOLOGY NOT ACCEPTED."

"did I make you wait too long?" xiao's voice was finally heard by you again. you missed it so much you just hugged him crying.

"yeah you did do you know how long it's been !?"

"sorry I won't leave you again," he wrapped his arms around your head. you couldn't look up, xiao with bandages all around his head made you feel worse.

"and I know how long It's been I checked all the messages you sent me after all," xiao added with a smile. you hurriedly pulled away getting your phone.

all the messages you had sent were no longer left on delivered by him.

delivered had turned into read, xiao was still here.