XXI

Though people often classified me as a complete nerd, I never felt alone. I may have been used a few times, and teased a lot but, I was never alone - mainly as Carly and Sam were always there around me.

And Yet, for the very first time, I felt alone. 

Carly felt the need to shuttle between us as she didn't like losing friendships. Sam was completely avoiding me, and I didn't know what to do to make it better.

After what I did to her, I don't deserve being in a relationship with her. But, I don't want to lose her as a friend either.

For once, I missed her creative insults. 

I missed her smell of vanilla, and ham.

I missed the occasional flip-and-throw me onto the ground moments.

I missed her.

When Sam was on her motorcycle rides, or in her court appointed therapy sessions, Carly was with me - trying to behave as normally as normal goes. But, turns out, even with Carly, it was Sam that held the group together. Carly's kind nature with Sam's abrasiveness, and my smarts, of course, one could say we were the best trio ever.

Sam was never around anymore. Whenever Sam approached Carly when we were hanging out, she'd see me, and back away. It's like she wants nothing to do with me.

But I'm not surprised.

Puckett avoided me like a princess did a pauper.

So many times I wanted to hold her close and kiss her.

So many times I wanted to tell her I'm sorry.

So many times I wanted to tell her my regrets.

And so many times I wanted to tell her I love her.

When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade. But, life wasn't even throwing a lemon my way. I felt like an indigent waiting for god  to throw lemons into my open palms.

It had been two weeks. I tried so hard and yet, she'd give me one word answer, and walk away.

"Hey Sam, do you have any ideas for next week's iCarly?"

"Yes."

"What is it?"

"Ask Carls."

"Carly's at art class, remember? I need to program the computer effects, and the blue remote?"

"Later."

She walked away right after.

BAE, YOU'RE DRIVING ME CRAZY.

"Sam I-" she shut her locker loud enough to cut me off and walked away.

"Freddie, I'm really sorry," Carly had said after I called her and told her what had happened.

"Why are you sorry?" I asked.

"Because, if I shouldn't have kissed you without sorting my feelings out first. I was being naïve," she said. Suddenly, I felt guiltier than ever. It's my fault Sam shut herself off.

She had been getting into more trouble lately. She was suspended for a week for spray painting on the school compound. She had been given detention for 3 weeks for bullying a junior for standing in her way. She had been so away, even iCarly fans began noticing her behavioral change. Sam always did have trust issues, and yet she trusted me. So, breaking it broke her spirit as well.

Today, she got arrested. Her mom was in Tijuana getting laser hair removal done, and the cops called me - apparently he had forgotten to change her emergency contact. I was so worried about her, I had run to the police station immediately.

"Sam, what the heck?" I asked her, as she sat behind the temporary holding, ignoring me.

"What is it, Freddison? Why are you here?"

"I'm here because the cops called me! Something about an emergency contact..."

She blushed lightly and looked away. "I didn't change it because you and Carly know too much."

"I don't care! Why are you here?"

"I have no legal obligation to tell you, Freddie."

"I'll need to know, to make bail."

"You don't need to know to make bail. You don't even have to bail me out, you know?"

"Of course I do!" I said. I didn't realise how much I had raised my voice. A huge terrifying woman who also sat in the holding cell looked at me and asked, "Who's the little boy toy, Puckett?"

"Not a boy toy. I don't even know why he's here," she said, annoyed. Her words drove a hole through my heart.

"Look Sam, you may be done with me. But, I'm not. You're still a friend and still a Samantha frikking Puckett" I said.

A cop approached me and asked, "you know Puckett?"

"Here for her bail, officer. But she won't tell me what happened."

"She stuffed a baguette down the Swellview ambassador's pants at the supermarket," the cop said, amused. Sam looked away, and the other girl impressed. 

"I'm paying for bail, officer," I said, pulling out my wallet. 

"No, he's NOT" Sam stated.

"YES, I AM. You may hate me Sam. But, I'm not going to let you rot in here until your mom is back."

"Ah good, we're getting tired of seeing her here, you see" he said, ignoring Sam's pleas.

150 dollars later, she was out. 

"A hundred and fifty dollars does not make up for what you did, Freddie" she said and though I knew it was true, I was hurt. "But, that being said, I was being an ass. I'm sorry, and thank you for bailing me out," she continued. My eyes that had trailed to the ground, looked up at her blue ones that screamed GENUINE APOLOGY ALERT!

"Wait, what?" I asked confused.

"I said, thank you for bailing me out."

"Your... Your welcome" I said. Not going to lie but, I was taken aback.

"See you at school, Freddifer" she said, punching me on the shoulder and walking away.

That was the nicest Sam had been to me.

Was she getting somewhere with forgiveness? 

Wait, OH MY GOSH, SHE SMILED AT ME. WHAT?

HOW?

MY RELENTLESSNESS WITH HER WORKED?

SHE'S ACTUALLY TALKING TO ME?

FORGET THAT, SHE SAID SHE'D SEE ME AT SCHOOL!

If I were not on the streets right now, I'd have DANCED. 

MAYBE NEXT TIME, A STANDARD CONVERSATION WILL BEGIN!

NOW I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE HER!