chapter twelve

My baby has green eyes like her father. It took a few months, but my hopes came to light when I quickly learned that Paris's eye color was changing to match her father's. Blue eyes are common in my family, so it wasn't going to surprise me if my daughter ended up having blue eyes. And because Vylad's biological father is still a subject of question, we only know of half of his biological genetics.

His eyes are no doubt from Zianna. Her eyes are absolutely beautiful. But his hair doesn't match her's, so that makes me question if Vylad's hair comes from him while Kandi may have his eyes. While this subject is interesting, Vylad can be finicky on the subject because of the uncertainty.

Like me, Vylad likes knowing facts. He plans a schedule of what will happen and when. I was an orphan. But with research, my questions could be answered. Vylad's questions can only be answered by Garte and Zianna.

Garte hates that part of the past. I think, secretly, Zianna having an affair struck his pride. And in a way, seeing Kandi and Vylad, he's reminded of that affair. Of a time where he's blinded by success and ignored his two children and wife. He never touches on that topic unless he's reminding someone in order to cause pain.

Zianna is the one with all the answers. She simply doesn't want to give them. She ignores the questions and pushes them to the side, trying her hardest to find something else to fill in the conversation. She says they're not ready for the truth, but I believe that she's the one who doesn't want to face it once again.

"I dressed the birthday girl up," Vylad says, walking into the room. I look towards him, expecting to see our daughter in his arms. I don't, but I can hear the pitter pat of her feet against our floors as she waddles into the room. "You're going to have to do her hair, though."

I laugh, crouching down to Paris's level when she stumbles into my leg, lifting her head up to meet my eyes. "Daddy dressed you up," I tell her, lifting her into my arms. "Why don't we do pigtails again? We can put your little bows in."

Vylad's head perks up at this. For some strange reason, he likes when I give her pigtails. I think it's because he likes to pick out her bows, but he denies it every time. He's already in her nursery before I am, and he's rummaging through her hair bow bin happily.

"Your mother will be here soon," I tell him, placing my hand on his shoulder. I've already let Paris down, and she tumbles down onto her hands and knees when she tries to walk too quickly. She doesn't cry, but it's still a head turner. "She's bringing the cake, and Kandi and Cadenza are going to help me with the last minute decorations.

°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°

Laurance pushed my baby's face into her cake and laughed when she cried. The laugh didn't last very long. He had started snickering when he walked over to her, and his laugh started when he pushed her face into the cake. It continued when she lifted her head up, silent. The laugh quickly ended when she began to cry and Vylad sent him a death glare.

Cadenza scolded him enough for the both of us while I cleaned up Paris's face and helped feed her so she wouldn't continue to eat with her hands. Vylad, being himself, fed me little bites of his slice of cake when I finished cleaning her up.

"Zack has his hands full with Cadenza," I giggle, watching the poor man try to calm my fuming sister down. My brother is practically cowering from her words, and my father and Lisa seem more interested in Caleb than to care about their interaction.

"Laurance is going to die alone," Vylad comments.

"So are yours."

"Don't tell my mom that."

The two of us sit in the background for a little while longer. We don't always get to do this. In all honesty, I don't remember the last time we were able to do this. High school we could sneak around, or we'd sit on top of my roof, and it was just the two of us.

After having Paris, I almost forgot what it felt like to be alone with my husband. The iconic duo became a trio the moment I laid on that bed. I don't regret it in the slightest. I've always wanted a child, and I wanted them to have both a mother and a father. With Vylad by my side, Paris has that.

Vylad presses a kiss to my forehead when he stands, claiming he was going back into the kitchen to get something to drink. When he walks away, Kandi comes forward and sits next to me in his place.

"I'll give Laurance this. He may have shoved Paris's face in her own cake, but he's good with children," she says.

Laurance sits on the ground with both Abby and Paris. Abby plays with her dolls, Laurance joining in, and Paris plays with the small picture puzzle in front of her. Laurance used to play dolls with me, but that was because I would force him and cry to dad that he wouldn't.

"And Abby acts like a big sister," I admit, seeing how she shows Paris where the first puzzle piece goes, despite the doll being in her hand. "Will you and Jeffory ever settle down together?"

She shrugs. "Maybe."

Vylad comes back soon after, telling Kandi to leave so he can have his spot back. I tease him on his rude behavior before looking back at Abby and Paris once again, completely ignoring my brother's presence.

Abby really does act well with Paris, and Paris is adapting to another child being around her. And while Paris would be the older sibling, she may enjoy having a sibling by herself. She's one, and it's too early to say, but she may want a little brother or sister to play with.

I've always wanted a small family, Vylad too. He comes from a family of six, and now my family has grown in size to the same number, so the idea of cutting that size down a great deal pleases us. I've always wanted more than one child.

"Vylad, what do you think about trying for another baby?"