chapter fifteen

Anyone could say that I've had my life planned out ever since I was in high school. I planned my wedding while my age was still in the single digits. I thought of my future more and more when I entered college.

Vylad, in some form or way, was always in my future. It wasn't until senior year that I secretly knew he would be my husband, despite being with Garroth two years prior.

It's November. The year is coming to a close, and my one-year-old confuses me everyday on if she understands the concept of why I'm so large. Vylad certainly does, and I retort to my past pregnancy where I feel like a whale.

Despite being a whale, I keep up with my duties of a wife, maid of honor, and a mother nonetheless. Kandi grows excited as each day passes, but I can see the nerves that hide in the depths of her eyes. She tells me I overwork myself and to take a break, but I needed her more than ever when I was preparing for my wedding.

"I want to tell you something."

Vylad's standing in front of me, close to the door. I can't help but admire him from afar. He's wearing khakis and a brown sweater. And while it's basic, I can't help but find nerdy attire attractive on him.

I try to stumble onto my feet. When Lisa was pregnant, Laurance would make jokes about how he wanted to time her to see how long it took to get her onto her two feet. I've threatened to slap him if he did that to me.

Vylad rushes to my side to aid me, holding onto my hands so the trip up is much faster than before. His hands place themselves against my stomach, and he leaves a gentle kiss against the top. Sweet nothings are whispered to our unborn baby before he transfers them to myself, slipping his hands onto my hips.

"I happen to like pregnant Alex," he tells me, pressing a soft kiss against my lips.

I can't help but to chuckle from his words, disagreeing. "I beg to differ. Everything hurts all the time, and Laurance would time me during Thanksgiving to see how long it takes me to get out of my chair," I tell him, brushing off his words. "What was it you wanted to tell me?"

He stares at me for a second before smiling softly. His eyes twinkle with delight before he sits me down on the sofa, sitting beside me. My hands are taken into his.

For a moment I become skeptical, lifting an eyebrow at his actions. If the conversation was one I would be worrisome about, he would've given me a warning beforehand. His actions would be loving and gentle, as they always are, but they'd be performed with more of an anxious twinge behind it.

"I've never been one to settle down. We're married with two children, but I didn't think I could do that. I graduated and left quicker than my mother could blink her eyes," he starts off, glancing to the side from rememberance. "I miss traveling. I miss going somewhere and not knowing where I'll be the next morning, but I like this too. I like having a job, and I didn't think I would've. I make my own money and can provide for my family. I don't have to rely on my parents for anything."

I squeeze his hands. He hasn't mentioned traveling like this in quite some time. He's been so worrisome over the new baby that that's all that's been consuming his thoughts.

"You like being the breadwinner?"

"Yeah, yeah I do."

I worked before having children. I haven't gone back since. Vylad didn't see the need for me to, and we've been financially set where there isn't a need for me to have to.

There seems to be a sense of pride within Vylad that he's able to do this. There's days where he comes home bothered after a long day of work, but he seems to enjoy it otherwise. When something exciting happens, he tells me. When there's a problem, it comes out. He likes this.

"I need to tell you something, then," I sigh.

He looks up at me. His sense of pride dismissing in his eyes. They swirl with a new expression: concern.

"I feel like a whale. I don't want to feel like a whale, but it's hard not to when your stomach gives away where you are at all times."

Vylad's shoulders drop in relief. We've had this conversation before. I was like this last pregnancy too.

"One more month, chérie," he reminds me, eyes dropping to my stomach. "One more month until our new bundle of joy is held tightly in our arms. You feel this way now, but it'll all be worth it in the end. You're beautiful the way you are. You're creating a child."

I lay my head on his chest, cuddling into him. He wraps his arm around me to hold me close to him. A kiss lingers on the top of my head, a smile in its wake.

"Paris is with my sister," he comments.

"Are you hinting towards something?"

"Of course not! We rarely have time to simply sit in each others' arms anymore. That's all. It's nice."

I hum in response, closing my eyes. He's right. Children take away all your 'you' time. I wouldn't change it for the world, but these moments are slim.

The front door opens, and it reminds me further why these moments are often ruined. Garroth walks in. His face goes from a fond smile to a grimace. "Baby brother, I do not think you can't conceive another child while she's pregnant."

With a groan, I sit up. Garroth and I look at each other, noticing I'm unamused by his words. He slowly nods his head.

"Mummy is going to call you. I hope you have nice clothes for tonight."

"What the fuck is tonight?" I ask.

Garroth leaves when Vylad's phone rings.