chapter thirteen

"And you want my help?"

Jeffory and I sit together in a booth at a local café. My leg is crossed over the other, and the cup in my hands creates an icy touch. He sips from his vanilla latte with a shy smile.

"You know her best. It wouldn't be Paris, but she isn't for big things like that."

I chuckle, "You'll have to speak with my husband regarding that. I don't even know all the details. But you're definitely right, she'd hate that."

He stands from his place, reaching a hand out for me to grab onto. I shake my head, insisting that I am still able to lift myself onto my feet by myself. He understands and takes a step back, bringing his drinks to his lips once more.

Jeffory looks hesitant to speak again. "So you'll help me?"

"I don't see why not."

°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°

Vylad placed his hands on my stomach from behind, pressing soft kisses on my neck. My nose scrunches in response, unable to contain the giggles he creates.

"You're still ticklish there?" He asks, pulling me against his chest.

I lean my head towards the side, tilting it back to get a proper look at him. "I'll forever be ticklish on my neck," I say, dropping the hand towel in the basket on the coffee table. "Though, you make it impossible to fold these towels."

His face nuzzles into my neck once more, giving me one last kiss before breaking our embrace. His hand reaches into the basket, pulling out the hand towel I threw in before adding it onto the pile of towels I had started to fold.

"You're carrying enough as it is," he announces, the corner of his lip curving up into a smirk.

My eyes narrow at him, placing my hand on my stomach before reaching for a towel of my own. I begin to fold it before I glance at him once more.

"Jeffory has asked for my help regarding a date with Kandi," I admit, placing the towel down on the new pile. My hand lingers there, eyes looking up for approval. "Abby already has a sitter, but I'd appreciate it if you'd help alongside me. Cadenza would love to babysit Paris."

His face scrunches up in confusion, trying to connect the pieces together on my request. He eventually shrugs it off, finishing off the basket before placing the towels inside of it. Vylad picks it up and begins to walk towards the linen closet, me toddling close behind.

"I suppose I could help," he says, placing the towels inside for me. "Though, I will admit that helping Jeffory with a date for my sister feels rather odd. I suppose just give me the details, and I'll help. When is this date anyway?"

"In a week."

He gives me another look, shutting the door. Vylad runs his hand through his hair, releasing an exhale before lifting me up into his arms, playful.

I laugh at this, placing my hands on his shoulders and look down at him. We find ourselves in the living room, and he holds me in the center of the room. I move his hair from his eyes before returning my hand to his shoulder.

Slowly he lowers me to my feet, pressing a soft kiss against my lips and tilts my head up to look in his eyes with his thumb and forefinger. "Next time Paris is sent out for sitting, I expect it to be from our own night out."

°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°

I've had to both straighten and curl Kandi's hair. She had called me over in a bit of suspicion and for company while she got ready for her date.

She has already dressed herself, but I've taken it into my own hands to do her hair while she speaks her mind.

My eyes dart over to the coffee on her table when she reaches for it, managing to find a breath to sip from it. Her head moves, and I hold her head in place to keep her still.

"Vylad would scold me like this too when he did my hair," she comments, looking at me through the mirror's reflection.

"Vylad does it to me now," I retort, wrapping another strand of hair around in the iron, pulling it close to the scalp of her head. "I suppose nothing much has changed."

Moments pass before Kandi stops fiddling with the handle of her mug, placing it back against the table's surface. "Do you know what's going on for my date?"

My eyebrow lifts, shrugging my shoulders. "About as much as you know," I chuckle. "Jeffory wants to take you on a boat ride for two and then out for dinner. He doesn't want Abby until the morning because of how late you two would come back."

She nods her head much to my disapproval. It's only a few strands more and a lot of hairspray until she's able to get up from her chair and realize how close it is until Jeffory comes back and picks her up for their date.

I laugh when she nearly tumbles over on her way up the stairs. The front door opens with Jeffory and Vylad when I can hear her door shut, and Vylad is quick to my side.

"Just send me a message when you're ready for us," he says, patting Vylad's back and squeezing my hand. "Thank you again for doing this."

"Of course," I say. "Tell Kandi to enjoy her date. Vylad and I must be on our way!"

°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°

I feel like a creep hiding a great way from the dock, trying my best to keep my pregnant belly hidden. Vylad stands near me, a camera in his hands ready to film when the time comes.

I nearly hit his arm to gain his attention when I see the boat come closer to shore, and Kandi nearly makes it tip when she tries to stand far too early.

Jeffory's laughter runs through the air when the boat finally stops, and he helps her out of the object.

The scene is quick and romantic. By the time Vylad and I step out of hiding, Kandi punches Vylad's arm for not telling her, and Jeffory worries about the camera.

I begin to laugh, wrapping my arms around Kandi in a tight hug. "And to think, I'm the clumsy one. You nearly tipped over the boat!"

"Shut up."