chapter sixteen

It feels wrong of me to be annoyed with Zianna and her last minute planning. When Vylad and I were dating and then engaged, it was different. There weren't children I had to dress amongst myself.

Vylad and I could up and leave any time we wished to, regardless of how we looked. If there was a dinner we needed to attend to with a ten minute warning, we both changed as the car warmed up outside.

Paris fusses when I tug on her coat. It's only mid October, but it's growing cooler in the evening. She's already figured out how to take off her shoes, so one shoe is on her foot and the other has been thrown across the room.

Vylad walks into the room, his keys in his hand. "Are you almost ready?"

I know he means well, but he couldn't have come at a worse time. Paris is frustrating, and I'm pregnant. Not a great combination.

"I don't have shoes on, and Paris threw her's halfway across the room. So, no, we are not almost ready," I say, shaking my head when I have to walk over to grab onto Paris's shoe. I nearly have to force it onto her foot when she fights against me. "I don't understand why your mother does surprises like these. I understand it's been years since you were babies, but soon this is going to get twice as hard to do."

He sighs. Paris is quickly lifted into the air, and she mumbles words happily to herself at Vylad's touch. A kiss is placed on my cheek, but I can't help but continue to feel annoyed.

"Take a breath," he says, using one hand to tickle Paris's side while the other supports her from her bottom. "We're a team, remember? You're not going to do this alone. But I'll talk to my mother. I don't want you stressing this late in your pregnancy."

"I'm over being pregnant. I want this kid out now."

He cracks a grin. "We all want that. Paris can be a big sister, and my mother can gush over a new baby. Maybe my sister won't try to steal this child," Vylad jokes. He looks over to Paris once more, giving her a playful bounce before walking towards the front entrance. "Come on, Mon Étoile, let's give mama a few minutes to herself."

°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°

I know it's wrong, but sending my one year off with Abby in the living room is almost like a breath of relief. Paris can run away if she wants to, and Abby thinks of her as almost a baby doll. As long as my child comes back alive, I'm alright. Besides, Garroth is playing with them. I can hear his man giggles.

"It's nearly time for my second grandchild to come into the world."

Zianna's hands rest firmly on my stomach, each side cuddled in her touch. I've grown accustomed to her constant stomach touching, so it doesn't surprise me anymore.

"You'll have ten more, won't you?"

I want to think she's joking, but the look in her eye is far from it. I think it's a mixture of both. Or that she jokes, but she secretly wishes it were true.

"Mom, we haven't even experienced two yet," Vylad says, looking over to us. "One is still in the oven."

"Then perhaps Kandi can give me more."

Kandi chokes against her gin martini from across the room. Zianna hasn't once lifted her hands from my stomach. She touches my stomach more than I do.

"Mother! I am only engaged," she says, placing the glass down on the table. "Besides, perhaps I wouldn't want more children because Abby is so dear to me. It's something Jeffory and I need to talk about."

Garte decides to step into the conversation. His hand rests on Zianna's shoulder. "Zianna, shouldn't you check to see how dinner is going? I'm sure everyone is growing hungry."

°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°

We're halfway through the main meal, and Zianna hasn't once uttered why she called for such a last minute dinner. I don't mind spending time with her like this, but she doesn't normally call one hour before she prepares dinner. And with Paris, she gives us days in advance now.

"Mommy, don't you think it's time to tell us the big news?" Garroth is the one to break the ice. Zianna looks up from focusing on Paris, a blush tinting her cheeks. I go back to feeding Paris, not finding the mess she makes on her own to be worth it.

"Oh, Gargar! You reminded me. I almost forgot." She dabs a napkin against her lips, eyes darting to Garte's direction. "Garte, I think it's only right if you tell them the news."

They're not adopting a baby at their age, are they? That'd be crazy, but it's also normal for Zianna.

Garte clears his throat, placing his fork and knife on his plate. The clatter of silverware follows behind this, attention diverting to him and only him. Only Paris remains in her own world, fighting me to place more food in her mouth despite her cheeks being full.

"After a long conversation, Zane has decided he wants to take over the family business," he announces, looking over to the said male. This doesn't surprise Zane, so Zane obviously knew before this. He must've agreed. "Garroth, you have nothing to fret about anymore."

Vylad and I share a look with one another. His mind appears to be the same thing my mind is going through. Kandi's looks the same, and Garroth looks like her's. Jeffory seems to be semi-aware of what's happening, but Zane refuses to look in anybody's eyes.

The sudden tension breaks when Paris squeals out in delight when I give her another bite of food.