epilogue

"Vylad, give me her socks and shoes. I'm not going out in public with Andromeda and have an old lady yell at me because she's only wearing socks." 

Vylad looks over to me before plucking a random pair of socks out of the nursery dresser. They're tossed my way while he walks to find her a pair of shoes. Having a baby and a toddler at the same time is both exciting but frustrating at the same time. It's definitely been challenging trying to find a balance between the girls and ourselves.

"Laurance took Caleb to the store once, and he was harassed because he didn't put socks on Caleb's feet."

I can hear his hum from across the room, signaling he is listening. Sometimes I wonder why we made Laurance Paris's godfather and not someone else. Laurance had "baby practice" with Caleb, so he isn't failing as an uncle to my children. Just a sucky brother sometimes. 

"Garroth has a lot to learn," Vylad sighs, placing one shoe on Andromeda's foot and then the other. Paris sits on the nursery floor playing with building blocks. She's quiet, but she's quick to get under your feet if you're not paying attention. "Paris caused him to stop believing that babies are ninjas. I don't know where he could've possibly gotten that idea."

At the sound of Paris's name, her little head peaks up at her. Her grin is continuing to become toothy. Her hair is now long enough to be placed into pigtails that are slightly longer than little stumps. But now that she has completed mastering the art of walking, she runs around the house faster than I can shut a door.  

Vylad goes to pick her up, holding her in his arms. She has her coat on and shoes on her feet. Paris claims we're taking too long to get Andromeda ready, and she's incredibly sassy for being so young. 

"Our brothers are concerning sometimes," I say, pressing little kisses on Andromeda's face before peppering more on Paris's. Andromeda is finally dressed and ready to go, so we can go to the park. It's a nice day, so I don't see the harm in going. 

"Sometimes is an understatement." He squeezes Paris gently, and she squeals with laughter. "I think someone is ready to go to the park."  

°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°

The house is quiet since the children went away. It's rare to hear little feet running against the wooden floors or pounding against the stairs. Doors shut less, and the house itself is the one to speak. 

It grows lonesome, but I have Vylad with me. 

We never had any more children after Andromeda. Two was the perfect amount, and we continue to love both girls with all our hearts. We've watched them grow. Go through heartbreak. Sorrow. Happiness. 

We watched their caps fly through the air on graduation day and for them to scramble to find their own. 

They're both away at college, and it makes me tearful to think that my parenting could be done. I'm in my early forties now. It's crazy to believe I was once their age with the love of my life, unsure of my future. 

"Do you remember that time you came to my window when I was with Garroth?" 

Memories occur to me now and then. It's late at night, the fire crackling from our fireplace. The wind blows against the windows, frost decorating them. In a few short weeks the girls will return for winter break. 

Vylad sets his book to the side. "It wasn't often I did it."

I nod my head a single time, acknowledging his response. I wasn't sure if he would be aware of what time I began to reminisce about. 

"It was mid-March. I was upset he forgot about our date and was having dinner to celebrate being signed off to Phoenix Drop for baseball the same night. I said I wanted to spend time with Cadenza," I say, the mood dipping into a sad tone. This memory wasn't the most positive. "You came to my window, and I was sure you'd scold me for acting the way I did, but you didn't. We sat under that tree, and you told me you would never return to Phoenix Drop."

His body weight shifts on the couch, moving closer to me. He's as close as he was once before, but he advances it by wrapping his arm around my shoulder. This welcomes me to lay my head against him. 

"I didn't think I would've. It took years until I actually did." His expression is bitter-sweet, thoughtful. I know he thinks about it even now, questioning the what ifs. 

"I don't think I ever thanked you for it. You lied when you said you'd never return, but you knocked on my door at 3:00AM. Your sister nearly killed me coming down the stairs for waking her up with all the noise."

I can feel his gaze against me. "I should be thanking you that you came around to me. For so long I was angry with Garroth. It hurt after a while, and I was selfishly happy when I heard you called it off." 

It took me far too much time to realize how much Vylad was hurting during that relationship. With time, he came around, but it was never the same when I learned how his feelings. I was surprised they remained when we entered senior year. 

"Do you ever regret what we've done? Are you content with our life?"

He squeezes me slightly, holding me closer to him. His grip is comforting. It always has been. 

"Chérie, if it meant I ended up with you, I wouldn't regret a thing. I'm happy with where I am today. I would hope you are too."

There were so many ups and downs to get here. I watched others marry and have children of their own. Businesses were transferred to anew while others retired. I laughed and I cried. Some things were taken away while others were added. 

"I want to travel the world again. The children are gone. Vylad, you loved doing it when we were younger. We can do it again. Return to the places we loved once before."

His chuckle is breathy. "Relive our fondest memories. Are you okay that we can't go back in time and live it all over again?"

I reach for his hand. "As long as I'm with you, I'm happy."

I'd love to go back and relive it all. Even if I watched my life play out as a bystander. I wanted to be able to tell younger Alex everything will be okay, and she'll end up with the man she'll love most in the world. I want to relive becoming Vylad's girlfriend and sharing our first kiss. Our engagement. Our marriage. The realization that we were pregnant and the births of our daughters. 

But I can't. 

I can continue to move forward. My children will always be there. Family remains present. But Vylad, mon amore, will be there every step of the way, and I will continue to be his chérie.