🌔~Chapter 3 ~{}~ Starlit Midday Tasks~🌖

*•°:•°: *:•° *:•°❁🌔🌕🌖❁*•°:•°: *:•° *:•°
{A/N: This is a bit of a light-hearted filler chapter, since I have no clue what I'm doing.}
*•°:•°: *:•° *:•°❁🌔🌕🌖❁*•°:•°: *:•° *:•°
{🌔} (Y/N)'s POV {🌖}
*•°:•°: *:•° *:•°❁🌔🌕🌖❁*•°:•°: *:•° *:•°

      As I raked up another patch of leaves into the giant pile I had made with a wooden rake Snatcher gave me, I noticed some of the Subconites (as Vincent told me they were called) pausing momentarily as they passed the leafy pile. Whenever they walked by, they stood still for a second or two, staring at the mound with a... curious, perhaps slightly excited look on their 'faces', before continuing on with their daily lives. Well, "lives", they're dead, so they don't really have lives, per se, but they do exist and go around doing whatever they do like they do have lives.

      That doesn't matter. What matters is getting these damn tasks over with, getting my soul back, and getting the hell out of here. I mean, yeah, Rex is probably gonna make fun of me for coming back after, like, a day instead of the week I said I would spend here, and he'll probably ignore me when I tell him that the rumours are true, but at least I won't be dealing with the burnt-ass noodle-looking bastard's shit anymore. Hell, even the mafia dudes are less annoying than him. I still don't know how the Subconites have tolerated him for almost 200 years.

      I continued raking leaves and picking out twigs, throwing them into a bonfire in the far back of Subon Village. This is nowhere near a difficult job, but still, after 15 minutes of working, I had begun to sweat. I used my forearm to wipe my forehead and set the rake against a large glowshroom, taking a look around the village from where I was standing. From the looks of it, I was almost done! "Ugh, finally," I thought, really just wanting to get this over with so I could go home and play, like, Mario Party or something. "This is the dumbest thing I have ever done," I thought, furrowing my eyebrows when I remembered how stupidly competitive I was. God, I really should have just said 'no' and left it at that. I'm such an idiot.

      I took a seat on the glowshroom I leaned the rake on and sighed. I looked up into the sky once again; it was pretty relaxing to just stare into the endless void of space and zone out for a bit. There were less tall trees in the village, most of them seeming to have been cut down, hollowed out, and turned into makeshift houses for the Subconites, so the light from the stars shone brighter and more clearly here, making it easier to see. As it was every other time I looked at it, the sky was absolutely gorgeous. I absentmindedly traced patterns and shapes into the stars with my eyes, probably as a way of distracting myself from my current predicament. For a few minutes, I continued doing nothing, just staring up into the starry sky and drawing out whatever my mind chose to see, until a squeaky voice pulled me from my headspace.

      "U-uh, hey, newbie?" a Subbconite asked, having a notably softer and more feminine voice than the others. I turned my head towards them and hummed, acknowledging their question. "I'm sorry to bother you, but... could I please jump in that pile of leaves? I-it's been a while since I've been able to do anything like that, so..."

      My eyes widened slightly with curiosity. Hmm... a bit unexpected, but a completely harmless ask. The Subconites seem relatively young in age, so it's understandable that at least one of them would want to play around in the leaves. I did that as a kid. And plus, what's wrong with having a bit of fun every now and then? Snatcher seems pretty strict, and honestly, he's kind of an ass, so of course he wouldn't let these little guys have any fun, but me?