chapter 24.

She was surprised to find herself joining the lords for the ball.

Ailiseu was insistent to stay at the mansion. 

She didn't want to leave for another reason: to find more clues behind the midnight ball's attack. She believes that it happened. It wasn't a figment of her imagination. All blood had been shed on innocent civilians and she doesn't understand why.

Even the thought of attending another party was horrific.

'I have to look out for Jaehyun,'

'Your boyfriend? But we have multiple doctors and nurses to take care of him. He'll be fine,'

'And you couldn't afford to have another personal butler?' 

'Brother SeokJin needs his personal servant with him at all times,'

No matter how many times she tried to dodge their invitation, she was still dragged in the end. 

They had beautiful, bulky, and strong horses. One is placid soft white and the other gentle brown. Their carriage was not an exception. One of these could probably last her a year. The carriage design is so common yet affluent at the same time.

Ailiseu hops onto the seat where the driver sat and briefly greeted him. He tips his hat in return. He is an older man with a thick white beard that covers his chin. He also has a white sideburn. The old man's name is Aaron, which is a surprise for the latter. He's wearing a black vest that covers his white blouse.

She reminds him a little bit of her father. 

The golden chrome gates creak open. The narrow road surrounded by tall trees on both sides leaves an unsettling sensation in her stomach. She remembers how crowded and cacophony it was. It was still a memory that left goosebumps on her arms. 

As the two horses start walking on their brawny four legs, Ailiseu eases back on the chair. The old man isn't that much of a talker and neither was she. 

She briefly closes her eyes and suddenly remembers the last few minutes before this all happened. 

SeokJin's question startled her. A look at his calm facial muscles and her tense yet wide eyes didn't dissuade the ticking seconds. She had never helped a man dress up, let alone her own father. This was a different situation compared to Haru.

Oh, Haru. How badly she missed seeing his young and glowing face every morning. 

SeokJin's fingers carefully tap against the wooden oak surface. His eyes, like that of sirens, so half-lidded yet fierce, enticed her into stillness. 

"Uhm ..." she starts, only for her voice to trail in silence.

"What? You don't know how to suggest things?" he asks, a small smirk tugging on his lips. 

Ailiseu shakes her head and she remarks, "My job was to serve customers food and drinks. I'm not a tailor," 

"You don't have to be a tailor to suggest things. Look into my closet. We still have time to figure things out,"

Nerved at this statement, she wonders if the eldest lord is just being a child, taunting her to do more than expected. The role of a servant, after all, is to aid their lord or lady with everything. 

She needed to follow anyway for the time being. If she wants Jaehyun to recover fast and for the two of them to leave safely, she knows she'd have to comply.

Ailiseu releases a deep exhale before her eyes found the sight of the wardrobe. It is an antique style that every opulent owner has. The whole surface is made out of placid solid white wood. Just like the walls, the gold chrome wainscoting was apparent on both sides.