1

Dawns POV:
(Until written otherwise)

"So, it's your eighteenth birthday. You can finally start working with me." My dad sits with me at the table as we munch on my birthday cake.
"You never told me what type of work you do. How do I know I even wanna do what you do?" I ask him, tilting my head sideways.

"You'll like it, if you're anything like me you will." He smiles.
I wasn't sure what that was supposed to mean but I guess I'll find out later when he gives me a tour of apparently my new job.

~
When we were both full of cake, we put the rest in the fridge and my dad said he wanted to leave now since his work is kind of far.
So we got in the car and left.

~ (at the lab)
"So what exactly is this place?" I look around to see workers, kids in grey sweat outfits, and a bunch of equipment.
"It's a lab." Dad answers while waving at the workers.
"And what do you do in this lab?" I ask, why is he not just telling me straight up?

"You'll see." He waves for me to follow him into this white room with a rainbow painted on the wall.

"001!" He yells across the room and a man with golden hair walks over to us.
"Yes Dr Brenner?" He says so politely.
"This is my daughter Dawn, she will be working here with us and I want you to give her the tour and rundown of the place." My dad looks at me and then back at the man.
"Sure thing." The man smiles.

My dad smiles at me and walks out the room. Where is he going? Just gonna leave me here with a stranger? Pft.

"Dawn, that's a lovely name. Why don't we start the tour." He starts leading the way before I even get a chance to say anything. I follow.

"So, what's your name?" I ask him once I catch up.
"001." He replies. Why does he talk so calmly? His voice is so soft it almost bothers me.
"Your name is 001? No what's you're name?" I chuckle thinking he was joking.

He stops waking and looks at me seriously,
"My name is 001. See, it's right here on my wrist." He flips his wrist upside down and i see "001" tattooed on him.
"Okay, but you have a real name right? You really just go by a number?" I ask, this place is starting to feel weird as we enter a room full of kids hooked up to machines.

"I do actually go by a number, everyone here does. Workers and children, we were all assigned a number when we arrived." 001 nods.

What is going on with this place? What has my dad been up to?