5

001 is covered in blood.
"I need help. Please." He's wobbly, his standing isn't gonna be standing much longer.
"Come in, sit down." I shut and lock the door behind him.
One of the rules here is that you're not allowed to have other workers in your room.
"What happened?" I ask while I search frantically for my first aid kit, I know it's here I moved it the first day I got here.

"Just please help."
"Okay, I got it." I sit down on the floor in front of him and start carefully cleaning him up.
"001 can you tell me how this happened please?"
He's silent for a minute before answering.

"Your dad, I make mistakes here sometimes and when I do I have to be punished.
"I'm sorry 001, I didn't know he did this to you."

"Yeah the whole point is for you not to know." He halfway chuckles.
"I'm sorry for barging in its just that the other workers never help. They just watch and walk away. So I thought maybe you could help." 001 says in between winces.

"Don't apologize. Hey whenever my dad does this to you, come to me alright? I'll help you everytime." I put the last bandage on his torso.

"You're very kind Dawn. It saddens me that such a good soul ended up stuck here." 001 leaned back, he seems dehydrated.

"Here." I give him my water from my bed side table, "I drank out of it but it's all I've got right now, you can drink it if you want." I offer him the water, he hesitates but drinks it.

"The kids here are good people, you're a good person. And you guys ended up stuck here too, not just me." I sit on my bed and sigh in frustration.

"001, is there any way out of here? Could we escape? Me you, the kids? Any way at all?"

"For you maybe, I could help you, maybe I could even help the kids. But I cannot leave." 001 stands up and sits beside me on the bed.
"Why can't you?"
"Dr Brenner would know, he tracks me."
"How?"
"Here, he put a tracker in my neck." 001 lifts his hair and points to the side of his neck. I see the mark where the tracker went in.

"What if I helped you get it out? Would you go with me then?" I ask knowing I don't know how to get it out but if he says yes I'll find a way.

"Why do you want me to go? I can just help you and the kids get out."
"Because I care about you. You're the only worker in this place that talks to me. You seem to care about me too, I won't leave unless you do." I smile.

001 takes my words as a surprise but then smiles back at me.
"Okay, yes if you can get the tracker out I will go with you."
"Okay, I'll try to figure it out tomorrow. I think we should both try to get some rest now." I get up and open my door for him to leave.

"Again, thank you Dawn. You didn't have to help me but you did."
I pause for a minute after his thank you.

"001.. is it okay that I don't hate you like I hate most people?" I ask, I don't really know why I asked but I don't like people. But I seem to not mind him.

"Yes, I think that's alright Dawn. By the way, you can call me Henry." He smiles then starts to walk away.
But he comes back and gently cuffs my face. He presses his lips against my forehead and holds the kiss for a few seconds.
He backs away, smiles again, then disappears into the dark hallway.

I didn't mind it, I actually liked it. It made me feel comfortable, he could have went for my lips but he didn't, instead he was gentle with me. I smiled as I crawled back into bed.