Two

I was diagnosed with anxiety and depression at the age of fourteen, almost fifteen.

It was while being home for the holidays. It was the same year my mother for the last time broke up with Jake. Five years of tormenting me and making my life a living hell.

Mum quickly figured out that he was a psychopath and had been manipulating both her and Sarah. I could've told her that.

Once when I was home for Christmas, he threatened to kill my dad if I didn't behave. I was trying to drown out his voice by covering my head with my pillow. My mother was rubbing my back but she didn't say anything as he spoke to me in that way, as he threatened my father.

When I was fifteen, my dad almost died of a blood clot in the heart, and ever since then, I've been preparing for his death.

The man doesn't take his medication. He was also diagnosed with diabetes and he doesn't take his insulin either, so mentally, I've been prepared for two years.

"Merlin's dick, Anna!" Jason exclaimed as I jumped out from behind a wall and roared at him. He had jumped back and I broke into laughter as he stared at me, eyes wide and a hand pressed to his chest.

My laughter filled the street but Jason rolled his eyes and pushed past me.

"What's up with you?" I asked, following him. "Did Abby offend your dick or something?"

Jason glanced at me as he pushed open the door to the leaky cauldron, holding it open for me.

"I got two hours of sleep. I need some fucking caffeine." He said, pushing his hands into the pockets of his jacket as he approached the bar and greeted Tom.

I followed Jason, and I ordered a coke which I got immediately, and I paid for it.

Once Jason paid and got his coffee, we took a seat at the long table going through the room.

"I forgot our nine month anniversary." Jason said quietly, blowing at his coffee before taking a sip, but he immediately made a face that told me he burned his tongue.

"No you did not..."

"Unfortunately yes. I've been talking to her all night about it. She had so many things planned as a surprise and I turned her down because I had to help Maria with something."

Maria is his little sister.

"Abby was crying and I kept apologising but..." Jason shrugged and pushed his hand through his hair which automatically pushed the hood of his jumper down. "...she's really upset about it."

"Understandable. You realise how important those dates are?" I asked. "Every single month, Jason."

"I know." He said, shaking his head as he looked away, running a thumb over his bottom lip.

I decided to change the subject because I could tell he was upset that he had forgotten that big date in their relationship.

"What did you help Maria with?" I asked, opening my can of coke before taking one long sip.

Jason looked at me with a disgusted face.

"Stop slurping."

I didn't respond to that. I didn't react either. I just waited for him to answer my question.

"She wanted to redecorate her room." Jason shrugged. "And she's not allowed to use magic outside of school, so I offered my help."

I just nodded as I looked around the pub to see how many people were in here today.

Not many.

"How's it going at home?" Jason asked, earning my attention, and the sudden topic caused me to drop my gaze.