Working from the Shadows

A prompt from KKGacha5

The rain continued to fall, the streetlights glistening through the city. It's hard to see, but I didn't feel any incoming danger. I needed to rest. I can't rest.

Squatting atop one of the cranes in Hosu City, I checked my phone. Constant messages from All Might, Bakugo and many others. My phone screen powered off, reflecting a hollow shell of the kid I use to be. Tragic, really.

I didn't want to do it. I had to. It's not safe for them to join this battle, and their failure to even capture me proved it. I miss them all, so much that my heart aches. I would be lying if I said their words didn't resonate with me. But there's no value in family if my family ends up dead because of me.

I'm so tired.

A red buzzing alerted my phone. I could feel my body powering up before I could even think. I launch from the building, using blackwhip to swing between the skyscrapers. Two young kids was surrounded by a gang. The boy was covered in bruises, a black eye, defending a smaller girl. One of the gang members held a metal pipe.

Damn it, I was late again.

I landed in front of the kids, cracking the ground on my descent. The yellow tattered remains of Gran Torino's scarf floated in the wind behind me. Thinking about it, my entire outfit was in ruins, from dirt, rain and blood. Whose blood, mines or theirs?

"Oh no, it's you!"

I looked up as the gang cowered in fear. "Stand down." My throat felt torn apart, making my voice more raw and growly than normally. The gang dropped the metal pipe and ran off. I texted Endeavor to take care of it, I'll helped the kids.

"S-stay back!" A high-pitched voice erupted from behind me, feeling small pricks at my back. I turn, seeing the young boy throw tiny stones at me, the girl in tears. I kneel, peeling off my mask. I felt my hair flop out. I wonder if gray hair had started to settle in yet.

"It's okay, I'm here to help."

"No you're not! You're a monster! We don't want your help!"

Monster.

There's truth to that.

"Where are your parents?"

The young boy screamed at me. The girl spoke up for the first time. "Dad left us...he drove off somewhere else...Mom..." She stopped talking, only to burst out crying once more.

I clenched my fist. The boy flinched, backing up and covering his sister. I shook my head, all of this pain and damage. How long have they been out here by themselves? How could their father be so selfish? Is this all my fault?

"Do you guys know All Might?"

This made them slightly confused, but the recognition in their eyes made things easier.

"Would you like to meet him?"

Several minutes later, I'm holding on to the two kids, swinging back to UA. Many citizens stayed here due to the outbreak of villains, lying away from the terror of him. I saw the door open, Principal Nezu and Hound Dog. Hound Dog checked my surroundings before gesturing for the children to go in. The rain was beginning to pour harder.

"Thanks Deku."

"Big bro, look! It's All Might."

I raised my eyes to see All Might rushing to the gates. I back step quickly, before activating One for All and dashing away. I couldn't look at him. I can't confront him now. Not after everything I did to hurt him.

I start swinging past the buildings, nearing the dorms. Home. A bed. Warm food. God, I'm so tired. Would it be so wrong to...

"No, you'll get them killed." I look to the windows, about to turn away until I see her face. She looked at me, her brown hair blowing in the wind as she stuck her head out.

The storm got louder, outside and in my head. The raging winds wanted to tell me to keep going, to keep running. But my heart could tell that she was the single ray of sunshine I needed to part these clouds.

I sent Blackwhip towards her room, my heart in my throat. Maybe it was struggling to escape. Maybe I was dehydrated and it was a sore throat. Most likely the second option.

I hung upside down, peering deep into her eyes. I could feel the rain pouring steadily around me. My lips parted, watching her silent expression. This was a mistake. After defeating them and claiming how they couldn't keep up, what did I expect by coming back?

She reached her hand towards me, brushing my soaked hair out of my face. She extended her hand, quietly. Would I be so wrong for wanting to take it? For wanting to crawl into her arms, searching for relief?

Hesitantly, I climb through her window, expecting to get pummeled by my 19 former classmates. Instead, a warm platter of rice, beef, and other food stood before me. She took my hand and sat me down, before offering me the food.

I must have been starving, I began gorging down the entire plate. Out the corner of my eye, I found her smirking. It must have been comical watching me swallow down hordes of food.

Within 5 minutes, the food was finished. We sat in silence, and the looming wall of exhaustion was starting to settle in.

"Turn around."

I moved with a start, surprised by the first words she said. I obliged, to hear my suit coming off.

"What are you-" I hissed in pain, feeling the fabric tear apart from old wounds, the scabs reopening.

"I need to dress these wounds, otherwise you won't be able to leave out again."

I listened carefully. "You're not...upset?" I Vite my lip to cover a scream, as I felt a finger poking my scars. "Of course I am, but I'm not going to beat you up when you're wounded and hurt. I know you're only doing what you think is best. It just...hurts because you don't rely on us either."

We sat in another silence, as she applied alcohol and bandaged up my wounds. I didn't want to approach her answer, what could I say? It truly was my fault, even though I think I'm right, I left my classmates, my school, my life behind to tackle the dangers ahead.

Alone.

She walked in front of me and tenderly grabbed my cheek. A washcloth gently cleaned the dirt on my face, then aggressively rubbed my hair dry. "H-how did you know I was coming?"

"I didn't, I kept medical supplies for the mission, and I would always bring a plate in food in case..."

"In case?"

"In case I saw you, Deku." Her brown eyes looked deep into mines, a sad smile on her face. I leaned forward, her eyebrows raising. I rest my head on her shoulder, taking in the smell of strawberries. I'm tired. I'm so tired.

"Would I be wrong...for wanting...to stay with you...just for a few more minutes..."

I felt my body slipping into darkness, the overwhelming feeling of comfort taking away any control to leave. I felt her hand guiding my head to her chest, stroking my hair.

"You're never wrong for wanting to be happy, Deku."