Broken Windows: Chapter 2

I woke up to dim light of the sun's rays peeking through in the living room windows. My arms and legs ached from sleeping in an awkward position. What a wonderful way to start the day. 

          I looked down at myself. I looked horrible. I hadn't washed for days because I hadn't had the time and my untrimmed blond hair hung in ugly clumps. The shirt I had on was the one I had scavenged from a wealthy home, but it was more than a couple sizes too large. My pants were a pair of jeans that had more holes than I could count. I was most proud of my shoes. They were a pair of real nice combat boots someone had left at my nieghbor's door. I didn't feel bad for taking them. My neighbors were dead. 

         I left the relative comfort of my bed and headed out towards the living room. I picked up the note I had carelessly thrown to the floor the night before. My eyes skimmed over it once and then I folded it carefully and stuck it into my shoe. It was time to go look for some food. 

          I made my way through the house and made it to the door. I was going to need to scavenge a lot today because I fully intended to leave this ghost town tomorrow. I grabbed the canvas bag I had hidden beneath the door at started to cross the street. 

           It was eerie as it always was. The only sound was the day wind blowing through the trees. I crossed the road where each of my footsteps seemed loud, and my heartbeat even louder. There was nothing left in any of the houses in my neighborhood. I never saw anybody here, but gradually I came to realize all of the houses were empty. My house was the only one that still had things in it. 

           I ran down my street waiting for road on the left. I knew it was a mile away. As I ran I wondered about the people who listened to actual music as they ran. I did that too. Or atleast kind of. I made up my own rythms to stay on pace. The road I was looking for loomed in the distance. I sprinted towards it, needing to feel that I was still alive. 

          I had never scavenged these houses. Hopefully no one else had either. The first home I saw was large. It had three whole stories and iron window bars on unbroken windows. Maybe this place had some food! 

         I jogged towards the home and tried the front door. It was locked. I looked for some other way of entry. I knew I couldn't break the windows if the night wind hadn't already. Instead I went around the house looking for some other door. I found a door that led from downstairs, maybe a basement. I wondered who had used this door before me. Some kind of jock sneaking his whore in or maybe a little kid wanting to play catch with his father? It didn't matter now. 

        There were only a couple of weathered gray steps and I reached the door quickly. I tried the door and it was open! I quickly went into the home. This place was a fucking treasure chest! It looked like it had never been touched! Even a large TV remained. 

         My first item of business were toiletries. I searched for the nearest bathroom hoping that maybe they had a towel. I tried a couple doors and finally found one. I locked myself in just in case. There was more than a towel in this bathroom. The counter top was littered with nail-polishes, shampoos, soaps, and even makeup! I grabbed it all and stuffed it into my bag. I let out  a squeal of delight at my finds when suddenly my senses sharpened, I had heard a sound. And it almost sounded like a human voice. 

Hey guys! I hope yall liked this chapter! Let me know if you want more!