Chapter six

CHASE MITCHELL

"I'm done!" I leave the rubik's cube on the bed with all the colours on it.

Jacob, who stands in front of me, sighs heavily. We are both sitting in the Indian position facing each other. 

"I'm out of this game, I'm not having good luck."

"It's not about luck, it's called skill, kid" smiling arrogantly, I grabbed his bucket and put it together in record time "See?"

He rolled his eyes and got out of bed, heading in the direction of our window.

It had been three weeks since I'd been locked in the bunker with Heather, and all had been quiet until then. We were still training, with the only difference that now Louise, the snot's sister, was with us. She was training boxing with Jacob, since guns and knives didn't interest her and seemed dangerous.

Ironic, isn't it? Because this boarding school was more dangerous than anything with all the mysteries it held and kept hidden from us.

"Chase" Jacob called to me "come here, look."

It was my curiosity that made me stand up and approach him.

"What?"

"Just look!" He pointed a finger towards the front, meaning the girls' boarding school. I squinted a little to get a better look and parted my lips when I saw black smoke coming out of the window of one of the rooms, with a couple of flames peeking out.

"Let's go tell the headmistress" I hurried to the door "let's make sure it doesn't escalate."

I hurried through the corridors of the large boarding school, and with great agility descended the stairs in a couple of strides. No more than two minutes later I found myself opening the door to Headmistress Presley's office without even knocking. This was important and we had to act fast.

The principal -who was in her swivel chair- snapped her head up at us with a raised eyebrow.

I walked over to her desk and took a breath, trying to compose myself.

"There's a fire at the girls' boarding school" Jacob blurts out without a hint of subtlety.

I stare at him dumbfounded, to which he lifts his shoulders and raises his hands in innocence.

The headmistress this time has stopped, rounded the desk, and walked past me at an abysmal speed, and I'm sure that if I hadn't been more alert than usual these past few days, I wouldn't have been able to hear the headmistress's whispers.

"Emily is going to drive me crazy..."

I furrow my eyebrows, who is she and what does she have to do with the fire? Her name rings a bell, but I can't find her existence in my mind.

The headmistress stopped abruptly in the doorway and looked at us. "Go to your rooms, I'll sort this out. Thank you for informing me."

"Do you know Emily?" I asked Jacob once we were out of the office.

"Emily Hawkings?" He seemed to think about it for a couple of seconds "Isn't she the leader of the fire section?"

I made a little aah sound, because now I did remember her, and if I put the pieces of the puzzle together, the discovery I made with the snot would make more sense and this was more proof that it was all true.

We were looking out of our bedroom window at the building across the street, but there wasn't even any movement or at least nothing to give us any sign that they were occupying a fire extinguisher or anything like that.