Epilogue

"Well there's obviously more to this than a picnic," Gwyn grumbled as he walked her forward, battle-roughened hands covering her eyes. The shadowsinger chuckled as she continued to pelt him with questions about what they were really doing and why it was such a secret.

"You are relentless, Berdara," Azriel grumbled, leaning in to brush her ear with his lips. "But you know I can be just as stubborn. Just a little longer, and you will see." She groaned, but didn't try to wiggle free or ask again what the surprise was. She was so clever that he figured she would probably have an idea of what was coming. They'd even talked about it, albeit months ago. But it was inevitable that a mated couple would want to stop sharing a home with another pair of mates - one that was even louder and more salacious than the Valkyrie and the Spymaster.

Yes, privacy couldn't come soon enough.

The two of them shuffled out from the shade of the trees, the cool breeze from the ocean ruffling their hair and brushing against his wings. Shadows danced around them, the wind a graceful partner.

"We're... near the sea?"

With a roll of his eyes he removed his hands, revealing to his mate the cabin that was built upon the cliff's edge - peering out over the sea. There were huge windows on all sides, and he could hardly wait to take her through all the rooms he'd helped create.

"Azriel." His name was a breath on her lips, and he could feel her disbelief and joy through the golden tether that linked them. Gwyn bounced forward a couple steps, delighted laughter bubbling into the air, before turning to him. "It's incredible! Is this...?"

"Ours?" He arched a brow at her. She nodded and he scoffed. "Who else would it belong to?" His irreverent mate just shrugged.

"Rhys and Feyre have many homes. It could have been theirs." She reached to him, beckoning him to join her, and his heart squeezed. His playful scowl softened to contentment and he walked to her, twining their fingers together.

"Well, it isn't. This is ours, and ours alone." Azriel kissed her knuckles before leading her through the arched front door and into the open space that included a living room with a grand fireplace, a dining area with a table large enough to feed the entirety of their family should they choose, and a rustic kitchen large enough to support such a meal, even if he knew that he would be the one that spent the most time there.

"It's already furnished?" Gwyn's voice was laced with wonder and the faintest chord of emotion as she let go of him and paced around the space. His eyes followed, noting how her fingertips traced so lightly over the cool stone of the countertop and the smooth wood of the dining table. The shadowsinger cleared his throat.

"Yes. There are a few personal things that I'll have to bring down from the House of Wind, including the books you've collected -" he would never have been able to move them without her knowing "- but it is ready for us."

"Oh, my gods." His shadows mingled with her whisper as she strode toward the floor-to-ceiling windows lining the living room wall. Azriel followed, coming to a stop behind her and placing his large hands on the curves of her hips. "This is... it's incredible, Azriel." He kissed a stray tear that had begun it's descent down her cheek and peered with her past the balcony to the stunning, glittering sea.

"I hoped you'd love it," he murmured into her ear.

"I do love it. It's... I'm speechless," she laughed, and he pulled her impossibly closer.

"If I can render you speechless, I should either be very proud of my efforts or very concerned." They were words he had spoken before, after their first foray into Velaris. That seemed like a lifetime ago, and maybe it was. It was difficult for him to imagine a time when he wasn't completely enamored with the woman in his arms. "Would you like to go out onto the balcony?" She turned her face to him and he pulled back to look at her.