Chapter 1 Part 1

"ᴡʜᴇɴ ᴀᴍ ɪ ɢᴏɴɴᴀ ʟᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜ?"

 — ᴡʜᴇɴ ᴀᴍ ɪ ɢᴏɴɴᴀ ʟᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜ, ʟᴏᴄᴀʟ ɴᴀᴛɪᴠᴇs 

 ❖

It's the nine-month anniversary of The Infernal Trinity warning me about Jayden's demonic rise and the fall of The Lion Society. And with each passing day—hell—with each passing hour of their lies, I laugh a little to myself at the pathetic arch-demons. For their joke of a threat deserves a prime-time slot on the Comedy Central channel.

They could amuse me for eternity. But it's nothing compared to the thrills of my current wintry vacation in Iowa. Jayden and I are with our best friends, Raj and Brittany, relaxing in the Midwestern state during our Sabbath week. A week of pure relief. One for earth angels to rest over the suspension of chaotic demon destruction. Yet, most celestials are weary of this break. For it's believed rogues convene to cook up more vile tactics than before.

Should we really worry about it, though? Because we're untouchable, The Lion Society, a unit of pure dynamism. Plus, I've gotten more divine powers thrown my way and strengthened my combat skills. Now demons shake from my presence, and I can't get enough of it.

However, this isn't to say I'm some self-reliant heroine now. I'm still a seraph, the most fragile in my family of celestials. And because that's so, I'm still in need of Jayden, my guardian against demons. My handsome and spectacular guardian. The one who walks toward me now with her hypnotizing smile and dimples . . . And Lord, those dreamy hazel eyes. I'm lucky to be sitting right now because this woman may make me faint!

Jayden cups my ivory cheeks in her strong, brown hands, slightly tilting my head up as my chestnut hair sweeps back. And in her deep, warm voice, she smirks, "Ophelia Mae, you've been sitting in the same spot for a while now, you know? Are you okay?"

How could I not be? I'm snuggled up on a velvet sofa doing my newest hobby: interior design scrapbooking. It's a bit of a challenge to do this time, though; I can't stop staring out into the gorgeous snowy wonderland before me. But since it's spring, tons of green have cropped up all over the place that could never exist back home in New York City. Plus, it's quiet and precious here. Everyone I've interacted with has been super friendly.

But I'd be content staying inside forever as this Victorian style home of Jayden's is unbelievable. I have yet to explore every inch of the roomy, quaint old house and I know lazing away won't achieve that. But I'm just too comfortable.

My enthralling, world-class photographing guardian kneels beside me as I hurry to gaze into her eyes. Our empathy has strengthened over the months just like our bond, however, we have yet to start an official relationship between us. Yes, it's gutting, but it isn't like me to surrender, not at this exact moment, at least. I've been wrapping my fracturing heart with tape on the verge of unraveling.

As she thumbs over my cheek, I set aside my craft book and pout, "I don't wanna leave here, Jay. Ever." It's sad that we have to tomorrow. A few more years would be lovely! But I've got to go back. My pets, school, and regmen need me. I'm just glad my loved ones are generous to take care of my four heartbeats while I'm here though.

Jayden gently lifts my hand and kisses the back of it. "We'll come back again—"

"Just us next time, though." I say, getting giddy at the thought.

"Yes. Of course, Cica." Nods my guardian. "If that's what you want, it's what you'll get—"

"But is it what you want as well?"