Chapter 3 Part 1

"ᴅɪᴅ ʏᴏᴜ ᴋɴᴏᴡ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴍʏ ᴅʀᴇᴀᴍs, ᴛʜᴇʏ'ʀᴇ ᴀʟʟ ᴛʜᴇ sᴀᴍᴇ ᴇᴠᴇʀʏ ᴛɪᴍᴇ ɪ ᴄʟᴏsᴇ ᴍʏ ᴇʏᴇs?" 

 — ʟᴇғᴛ ᴀɴᴅ ʀɪɢʜᴛ, ᴄʜᴀʀʟɪᴇ ᴘᴜᴛʜ & ᴊᴜɴɢᴋᴏᴏᴋ 

Jayden's all around me—or rather her ubiquity—and I love it. Yes, leaving Iowa was heartbreaking. But here at home is where I can get the most of my peerless guardian. For everywhere I look has some sort of inhabitance of her.

Because aside from her exact being, there are the little things. Like her aunt's floral bouquets in every hall of the academy that adds splashes of joy into our lives. Or how the younger angels run around with fancy toys she's always spoiling them with. Especially how my apartment has virtually become ours with her belongings woven in with mine.

But I sadly have to be without her for a little while. And that's because she's busy at her main mansion completing some plans for a party tonight for the BDSM community. Although I'm happy for her, I distract myself from thinking about our separation by unpacking since I've already reunited with my loved ones.

. . . Which took a good amount of time considering how much Rita and my guild leading uncle missed us. For fact, he was actually the first person to get to me. The crazed man raced out the front doors to take me in his arms, acting as if I've been gone for months. It's sad to think that he spent his entire time off in misery; he's never played being content while apart so well.

But I've dismissed that sad thought for now to catch up with my pets, Ecru, Togo, Mal, and Abigail, again when someone knocks on my front door. I pause telling the engrossed animals about my vacation to allow my guest to come inside. And it's Charlie who enters and walks up to me with his arms out for an embrace. I beam as I jump up, wrapping around his built torso. "Ophy . . ." He squeezes me. "Fuck . . ."

I pull back once he lets me. "But what's wrong?"

"Everything." He mutters, biting his lip.

"What? But why?"

"You don't understand how crazy this was for me. I've seen you almost every day since we were kids." Swiping some of his wavy hair out of his face, he frowns, "You not around makes little sense."

Charlie Reid . . . Charlie fucking Reid. The guy's a tangled mess that I'll always love as a friend. Because he has outstanding qualities about him like his amazing older brother Colton. But unlike him, his brother is incredibly stubborn. Because no matter how much I remind him that our past relationship was staged, he'll never accept it.

"Well, I'm back, alright?" I hug him again, this time for longer.

"I love you, Ophelia." Charlie says. "I love you so much—"

Trying to get his mind off me, I joke, "Not more than singing. Not more than your guitars, keyboards, and the rest of your strange instruments—"

"More than them." He nods. His music career has been growing since he left his butcher job to pursue his dream of becoming a famous artist. And I've been one of his proudest cheerleaders since then.

With another attempt to get us straight again, I playfully ask, "So was Colton in some important gaming match or something? He wasn't down for too long to see me earlier." The nerd didn't even leave his controller and headset behind as he greeted everyone. For a second, I thought he'd developed super speed like his brother!

"Yeah, he was and still is." Charlie groans, "Like fucking always." He hates Sabbath week because of Colton being such a hermit. If he'd put his amazing design skills to use, he could create video games and play them. But he's still too devoted to the Lion Society for that.