Chapter 5 Part 2

My aggression tonight. I don't know what the hell was wrong with me; I eliminated around thirty demons and healed countless people, all without Charlie's help. Of course, he tried doing so. But I didn't allow him to, and that seemed to make him nothing but proud of my rage.

And that rage . . . That rage has thankfully vanished within me as the raid has ended some minutes ago. With all regmen safe, I now rest against a building wall to get myself back together. But my best friend, Raj, and Colton, meet up with my guardian and I, interrupting the conversation we're in. Or more of the one he's in. Because barely listening to someone 'yap away' doesn't count as a real talk, right? Charlie finishes his thought when Brittany jumps before us, throwing on a blinding smile and her flashy, sky eyes at us. "How does it sound for us all to go home and get turnt?"

I murmur, "Rita wouldn't allow that."

"She can be there with us too!"

"You're kidding, Britt, right?"

"She has to be." Colton laughs, resting his arm on my shoulder. "Rita would definitely kick our asses!"

"We are adults, you know? I say hell yes to Britt's plan." Charlie and the blonde high-five each other as she continues to flutter.

But I shake my head to the ground. "I just want to go home and get into bed—"

"Ophy, no. Come on, seriously?" My best friend nudges me. "I'm not doing this without you. Don't ruin my fun by being lame—"

"Well, forgive me for being fucking lame!" I snap, startling everyone.

But Brittany's taken aback most as she's gone stiff. "Ophy . . . You know I didn't mean it in a bad way . . . I'm sorry for—"

"And I'm sorry for everything else too, like fucking tripping over nothing, because I'm such a pro at that, right?"

"Okay . . ." She murmurs as I'm gawked at by the others, even Raj, who's texting someone a damn near book-long message. Could it be Jayden?

But stopping to realize how rude I was to Brittany, I dry my welling eyes as I begin, "Britt . . . I-I I'm so sorry for saying those things."

She seems to force a smile as she hugs me. "It's okay, I promise, and I understand." But restless to escape the awkward tension I've created, she next turns to her distracted Raj. "Babe, what about you?"

Drifting between us and his phone, he grumbles, "Yes, because I've really been craving a burger."

His girlfriend rolls her eyes at his answer as it amuses the Reid brothers. But as he just sends off the lengthy text, she snatches his phone away to stuff it down her tank top and into her bra. "Since you ignored me, come get it back." She skips away.

"But I didn't ignore you, babe. I really want a hamburger—cheeseburger—Shake Shack in particular. A nice, juicy, cheesy son of a bitch."

My best friend repeats her proposal as she springs around him and giggles. "But since you wanna be a bad boy, you won't be getting food from me!"

"Fine." Raj, now in the same zippy mood, chases after her. "Since Shake Shack is out of the picture, you know all I need is some Henny." He winks as he says, "And you, of course."

Brittany stops in place, blushing hard, as if that was his first sappy line. "Oh, baby, you're just too sweet." He takes her into his arms, where he forgets all about his device that he could've taken back now. But as they kiss, I look away to roll my eyes. I love seeing the two happy like they are now, but this . . . this is what I'll have to see for eternity without Jayden.